Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » 64 Bit
64 Bit [message #157254] Fri, 03 July 2009 02:23 Go to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg  United States
Messages: 172
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I am looking for some pros and cons of using 64 bit DC's for a small to
medium sized companies. My understanding is that a 64 bit DC is a good
candidate for only Large AD Deployments where the number of objects are very
high (>2.GB AD DB size). I have found some drawbacks like there is no GPMC
for 64 bit, no Reskit Tools, on the flip side Windows 2003 Sp2 Support Tools
while it says is applicable for 32 Bit, the supported OS Section says it
works on 64 bit of w2k3, which is a lil confusing. So i feel at this time
using X64 DC's for small companies is not a great idea and also includes
administrative bottlenecks.

Any additional thoughts or experiences??
Re: 64 Bit [message #157255 is a reply to message #157254] Fri, 03 July 2009 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
florian  is currently offline florian  Germany
Messages: 484
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Greg,

Greg schrieb:
> I am looking for some pros and cons of using 64 bit DC's for a small to
> medium sized companies. My understanding is that a 64 bit DC is a good
> candidate for only Large AD Deployments where the number of objects are very
> high (>2.GB AD DB size).

Pros that I see with x64 DCs:
- Can host more RAM = large parts of the database file can be held in memory
- LDAP queries can be processed faster
- x64 is "the future" - you won't be able to upgrade easily (server
2008R2 comes 64bit-only!).
- overall performance is slightly better

> I have found some drawbacks like there is no GPMC
> for 64 bit, no Reskit Tools, on the flip side Windows 2003 Sp2 Support Tools
> while it says is applicable for 32 Bit, the supported OS Section says it
> works on 64 bit of w2k3, which is a lil confusing. So i feel at this time
> using X64 DC's for small companies is not a great idea and also includes
> administrative bottlenecks.

Yeah, those are the cons. The question is: will you be managing the
DC/DCs in questions locally? Isn't it that in smaller companies that
there are few admins who run those admin tools locally on their
machines? You can - without any issues - use x64bit admin tools
installed on a client for administering 32bit DCs and systems. If it's
just the management tools that you're concerned about, go for 64bit.

You can manage the DCs and servers from workstations if necessary.

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Re: 64 Bit [message #157257 is a reply to message #157254] Fri, 03 July 2009 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello Greg,

I fully agree with Florian, if the small disadvantages can be solved with
admin workstations from you, go for it.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> I am looking for some pros and cons of using 64 bit DC's for a small
> to medium sized companies. My understanding is that a 64 bit DC is a
> good candidate for only Large AD Deployments where the number of
> objects are very high (>2.GB AD DB size). I have found some drawbacks
> like there is no GPMC for 64 bit, no Reskit Tools, on the flip side
> Windows 2003 Sp2 Support Tools while it says is applicable for 32 Bit,
> the supported OS Section says it works on 64 bit of w2k3, which is a
> lil confusing. So i feel at this time using X64 DC's for small
> companies is not a great idea and also includes administrative
> bottlenecks.
>
> Any additional thoughts or experiences??
>
Re: 64 Bit [message #157261 is a reply to message #157255] Fri, 03 July 2009 09:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Greg  is currently offline Greg
Messages: 172
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Yeah, remote management is always an option, however you need to have a X64 version of Vista for remotely manging the x64 DC's right. So basically we are talking about additional cost of buying another x64 vista client for remote administration.

Got to review this again...Thanks for your comments!

Regards


"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" <florian@frickelsoft.DELETETHIS.net> wrote in message news:eTefO16%23JHA.1492@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Greg,
>
> Greg schrieb:
>> I am looking for some pros and cons of using 64 bit DC's for a small to
>> medium sized companies. My understanding is that a 64 bit DC is a good
>> candidate for only Large AD Deployments where the number of objects are very
>> high (>2.GB AD DB size).
>
> Pros that I see with x64 DCs:
> - Can host more RAM = large parts of the database file can be held in memory
> - LDAP queries can be processed faster
> - x64 is "the future" - you won't be able to upgrade easily (server
> 2008R2 comes 64bit-only!).
> - overall performance is slightly better
>
>> I have found some drawbacks like there is no GPMC
>> for 64 bit, no Reskit Tools, on the flip side Windows 2003 Sp2 Support Tools
>> while it says is applicable for 32 Bit, the supported OS Section says it
>> works on 64 bit of w2k3, which is a lil confusing. So i feel at this time
>> using X64 DC's for small companies is not a great idea and also includes
>> administrative bottlenecks.
>
> Yeah, those are the cons. The question is: will you be managing the
> DC/DCs in questions locally? Isn't it that in smaller companies that
> there are few admins who run those admin tools locally on their
> machines? You can - without any issues - use x64bit admin tools
> installed on a client for administering 32bit DCs and systems. If it's
> just the management tools that you're concerned about, go for 64bit.
>
> You can manage the DCs and servers from workstations if necessary.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
--
Re: 64 Bit [message #157262 is a reply to message #157261] Fri, 03 July 2009 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
florian  is currently offline florian  Germany
Messages: 484
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Howdie!

Greg schrieb:
> Yeah, remote management is always an option, however you need to have a
> X64 version of Vista for remotely manging the x64 DC's right. So
> basically we are talking about additional cost of buying another x64
> vista client for remote administration.

Nah - Vista 32bit works well. You can manage the machines with 32bit
management software.

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Re: 64 Bit [message #157264 is a reply to message #157261] Fri, 03 July 2009 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
markdmac  is currently offline markdmac  United States
Messages: 139
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I'm not following where you feel the 64bit DC cannot be managed from a
32bit client.

Most of the tools such as DNS, DHCP, WINS are all still 32bit
applications and there is still an Adminpak that can be installed on
the clients.

I've never had a problem managing an SBS 2008 server which is only
available in x64. We are able to use 32bit Vista machines and Windows
7 as well. Plus you always have MSTSC for RDP access. In a small shop
there should be little reason to be on the server frequently anyway.

I think you would be doing yourself a disservice to not purchase 64bit.
As was stated above, it can handle more memory. So even if you don't
need more than 4GB NOW, in the future you may. So why not give
yourself the option to be able to install more memory down the road?
You will also be unable to upgrade to a newer OS down the road if you
are on 32bit since future OSes will all be x64.

Hope that helps,

Mark D. MacLachlan
Re: 64 Bit [message #157269 is a reply to message #157254] Fri, 03 July 2009 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duncan  is currently offline Duncan
Messages: 6
Registered: August 2009
Junior Member
I'm confused slightly because all of the tools that you need to manage a
64-bit server exist within Windows server and they also exist for 32 and 64
bit clients.

I still have a couple of legacy 32bit 2003 server systems but I would
recommend you go 64bit.
Windows 2008 Server is your last server OS that will support 32bit and even
Exchange doesn't work 32bit (in production) now.

Duncan

"Greg" <Greg@live.com> wrote in message
news:O6qUZb6%23JHA.4900@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>I am looking for some pros and cons of using 64 bit DC's for a small to
>medium sized companies. My understanding is that a 64 bit DC is a good
>candidate for only Large AD Deployments where the number of objects are
>very high (>2.GB AD DB size). I have found some drawbacks like there is no
>GPMC for 64 bit, no Reskit Tools, on the flip side Windows 2003 Sp2 Support
>Tools while it says is applicable for 32 Bit, the supported OS Section says
>it works on 64 bit of w2k3, which is a lil confusing. So i feel at this
>time using X64 DC's for small companies is not a great idea and also
>includes administrative bottlenecks.
>
> Any additional thoughts or experiences??
>
Re: 64 Bit [message #157282 is a reply to message #157261] Sat, 04 July 2009 16:57 Go to previous message
newsgroups  is currently offline newsgroups
Messages: 126
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
FYI the 32bit and 64 bit versions should cost exactly the same.

--
Mark Parris
MVP-Active Directory-Directory Services:Architecture

[ADUG] UK Active Active Directory User Group
http://adug.co.uk



"Greg" <Greg@live.com> wrote in message
news:Oe2Y6K%23%23JHA.1380@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
Yeah, remote management is always an option, however you need to have a X64
version of Vista for remotely manging the x64 DC's right. So basically we
are talking about additional cost of buying another x64 vista client for
remote administration.

Got to review this again...Thanks for your comments!

Regards


"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" <florian@frickelsoft.DELETETHIS.net> wrote in
message news:eTefO16%23JHA.1492@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Greg,
>
> Greg schrieb:
>> I am looking for some pros and cons of using 64 bit DC's for a small to
>> medium sized companies. My understanding is that a 64 bit DC is a good
>> candidate for only Large AD Deployments where the number of objects are
>> very
>> high (>2.GB AD DB size).
>
> Pros that I see with x64 DCs:
> - Can host more RAM = large parts of the database file can be held in
> memory
> - LDAP queries can be processed faster
> - x64 is "the future" - you won't be able to upgrade easily (server
> 2008R2 comes 64bit-only!).
> - overall performance is slightly better
>
>> I have found some drawbacks like there is no GPMC
>> for 64 bit, no Reskit Tools, on the flip side Windows 2003 Sp2 Support
>> Tools
>> while it says is applicable for 32 Bit, the supported OS Section says it
>> works on 64 bit of w2k3, which is a lil confusing. So i feel at this time
>> using X64 DC's for small companies is not a great idea and also includes
>> administrative bottlenecks.
>
> Yeah, those are the cons. The question is: will you be managing the
> DC/DCs in questions locally? Isn't it that in smaller companies that
> there are few admins who run those admin tools locally on their
> machines? You can - without any issues - use x64bit admin tools
> installed on a client for administering 32bit DCs and systems. If it's
> just the management tools that you're concerned about, go for 64bit.
>
> You can manage the DCs and servers from workstations if necessary.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Previous Topic:File Replication Services
Next Topic:changing the ACLs on the builtin objects
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Oct 20 10:19:48 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04075 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software