Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » Exchange 2003
Exchange 2003 [message #157688] Sun, 12 July 2009 15:28 Go to next message
ray3d84  is currently offline ray3d84
Messages: 8
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows 2003
server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02 which is in the
server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in the UK. I support the
United Sates.
When I launch Outlook for a new user it points to Exchange server BGUKSVR06
the UK server. The US sites has its own PDC and the users and computers are
in their own OU container. Would like to know how to configure have Outlook
so that it users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using GPO.

--
ray3d84
RE: Exchange 2003 [message #157689 is a reply to message #157688] Sun, 12 July 2009 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JamesYeomansBScMCSEMC  is currently offline JamesYeomansBScMCSEMC
Messages: 2
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Hi if the exchange servers are part of the same domain then you only have 1
PDC in the domain makes no difference which site it is in. As you are using
exchange 2003 then even if you are using outlook 2007 the autodiscover
service is not available as it is part of exchange 2007. How is it
pre-populating the exchange server? I don't believe there is GPO to do this.
--
James Yeomans, BSc (Hons)
MCSE Windows Server 2003
MCITP Windows Server 2008
MCTS Microsoft Exchange 2007

www.justaskjames.co.uk


"ray3d84" wrote:

> I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows 2003
> server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02 which is in the
> server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in the UK. I support the
> United Sates.
> When I launch Outlook for a new user it points to Exchange server BGUKSVR06
> the UK server. The US sites has its own PDC and the users and computers are
> in their own OU container. Would like to know how to configure have Outlook
> so that it users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using GPO.
>
> --
> ray3d84
Re: Exchange 2003 [message #157690 is a reply to message #157688] Sun, 12 July 2009 18:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5DBD9775-1E39-4614-8FC8-A87009CD1CAF@microsoft.com...
>I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows 2003
> server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02 which is in
> the
> server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in the UK. I support
> the
> United Sates.
> When I launch Outlook for a new user it points to Exchange server
> BGUKSVR06
> the UK server. The US sites has its own PDC and the users and computers
> are
> in their own OU container. Would like to know how to configure have
> Outlook
> so that it users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using
> GPO.
>
> --
> ray3d84


Hi Ray,

Are AD Sites setup, one for US, and one for UK?

How many DCs do you have? If you only have one domain, are all the DCs GCs?

Are any of the DCs multihomed (more than one NIC and/or IP)?

If Sites were setup, Exchange will recognize which Site it belongs to, and
Exchange will discover all DCs and GCs in its own Site, including DCs of
other domains. You can look at the Exchange server object in ESM, Directory
Services tab, and it will show you which DCs and GCs it found and will use.

When you look in the Dir Access tab on each Exchange server properties,
which DCs does each show?

As James mentioned, there is no GPO setting to force this, however Outlook
will look at AD for Exchange information and *should* find the Exchange
server in its own site.


--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from collaboration
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer
aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org
http://twitter.com/acefekay

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please
check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
RE: Exchange 2003 [message #157699 is a reply to message #157688] Mon, 13 July 2009 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Garry Starck-MCITP En  is currently offline Garry Starck-MCITP En
Messages: 69
Registered: July 2009
Member
HiRay3d84

Regardless of which OU the Comp and User accounts are in, which server has
the mailboxes, have the mailboxes been moved?
--
Garry Starck
MCITP Enterprise Administrator, MCTS AD, MCSE 2003 Messaging, MCDBA


"ray3d84" wrote:

> I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows 2003
> server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02 which is in the
> server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in the UK. I support the
> United Sates.
> When I launch Outlook for a new user it points to Exchange server BGUKSVR06
> the UK server. The US sites has its own PDC and the users and computers are
> in their own OU container. Would like to know how to configure have Outlook
> so that it users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using GPO.
>
> --
> ray3d84
Re: Exchange 2003 [message #157703 is a reply to message #157688] Mon, 13 July 2009 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello ray3d84,

Please give some more info about the domain or domains, because you wrote
about multiple PDCs, and if AD sites and services reflect the topology of
the countries with own sites and subnets configured for the sites? In a single
domain you only have one DC with the PDCEmulator role. You can check this
with "netdom query fsmo".

How do you configure the user accounts to open the belonging mailbox, running
a script or did the users open theire mailbox manual?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows
> 2003 server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02
> which is in the server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in
> the UK. I support the United Sates. When I launch Outlook for a new
> user it points to Exchange server BGUKSVR06 the UK server. The US
> sites has its own PDC and the users and computers are in their own OU
> container. Would like to know how to configure have Outlook so that it
> users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using GPO.
>
Re: Exchange 2003 [message #157754 is a reply to message #157703] Tue, 14 July 2009 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ray3d84  is currently offline ray3d84
Messages: 8
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
We have a domain which s headquartered in London. We have Sites in NY,SF, DC,
VIENA,HK, ETC. Each site has a domain controller. Outlook is configured
manually using the desktop icon which always defaults to the BGUKSVR06 server.


--
ray3d84


"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello ray3d84,
>
> Please give some more info about the domain or domains, because you wrote
> about multiple PDCs, and if AD sites and services reflect the topology of
> the countries with own sites and subnets configured for the sites? In a single
> domain you only have one DC with the PDCEmulator role. You can check this
> with "netdom query fsmo".
>
> How do you configure the user accounts to open the belonging mailbox, running
> a script or did the users open theire mailbox manual?
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>
> > I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows
> > 2003 server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02
> > which is in the server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in
> > the UK. I support the United Sates. When I launch Outlook for a new
> > user it points to Exchange server BGUKSVR06 the UK server. The US
> > sites has its own PDC and the users and computers are in their own OU
> > container. Would like to know how to configure have Outlook so that it
> > users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using GPO.
> >
>
>
>
Re: Exchange 2003 [message #157758 is a reply to message #157688] Tue, 14 July 2009 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pbbergs  is currently offline pbbergs  United States
Messages: 1024
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
It is all about where the users mailbox resides. Open up ADUC, find the
user in question and bring up their properties. From there select the
"Exchange General" tab and look at the "Mailbox store:" attribute. This
will show you where this users mailbox resides.

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services
MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:5DBD9775-1E39-4614-8FC8-A87009CD1CAF@microsoft.com...
>I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows 2003
> server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02 which is in
> the
> server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in the UK. I support
> the
> United Sates.
> When I launch Outlook for a new user it points to Exchange server
> BGUKSVR06
> the UK server. The US sites has its own PDC and the users and computers
> are
> in their own OU container. Would like to know how to configure have
> Outlook
> so that it users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using
> GPO.
>
> --
> ray3d84
Re: Exchange 2003 [message #157768 is a reply to message #157754] Tue, 14 July 2009 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"ray3d84" <ray3d84@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6FE0BFE2-5CB5-4942-B375-6F27824561C8@microsoft.com...
> We have a domain which s headquartered in London. We have Sites in NY,SF,
> DC,
> VIENA,HK, ETC. Each site has a domain controller. Outlook is configured
> manually using the desktop icon which always defaults to the BGUKSVR06
> server.
>

I remember at one point reading up on a way to change this years ago, but I
can't find the link on it. I believe it had something to do with which DCs
the Ex server is using in ESM. That's why I had asked which DCs is BGUKSVR06
using. It may also be an LDAP filter on the OU properties in ADSIEdit for
the homeMDB attribute (spelling?) that must be changede so when you create a
user in an OU, it defaults to a different Ex box, but don't quote me on that
just yet. I just can't remember. For some reason I am associating it to the
old method of Hosted Exchange altering the OUs for various companies and
altering which Address list is available to them. I have to find the link. I
honestly spend about 30 minutes looking but to no avail. If I find it, I
will post back, unless someone else beats me to it.

I cross-posted this to the Exchange group to see if those guys have anything
to add. Just check back here for any responses.

FYI - The poster is looking for a way to change the default Exchange mailbox
server ADUC selects when creating a new user account based on either Site or
OU. - Original Post below:
>>I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows
>>2003
>> server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02 which is in
>> the
>> server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in the UK. I support
>> the
>> United Sates.
>> When I launch Outlook for a new user it points to Exchange server
>> BGUKSVR06
>> the UK server. The US sites has its own PDC and the users and computers
>> are
>> in their own OU container. Would like to know how to configure have
>> Outlook
>> so that it users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using
>> GPO.
>>
>> --
>> ray3d84

Ace
Re: Exchange 2003 [message #157786 is a reply to message #157768] Tue, 14 July 2009 12:48 Go to previous message
jamestechman  is currently offline jamestechman  United States
Messages: 277
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Yeah I remember same issue and have run into it in the past usually
happens in migration scenarios. For me since it was just a few
computers I ended up modifying the registry manually.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Windows
Messaging Subsystem\Profiles\<profile_name>\guid\001e6608.

It appears you're having dsproxy issues and cannot refer the client to
a DC to find the user's home exchange server to update the registry
value. Was this a migration? Was the old Exchange server still up you
moved the mailbox to new server? Is your Exchange also a GC? Is this
happening for new mailboxes you create? All users etc?


James Chong (MVP)
MCITP | EA | EMA; MCSE | M+, S+
Security+, Project+, ITIL
msexchangetips.blogspot.com


On Jul 14, 10:48 am, "Ace Fekay [MCT]"
<ace...@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org> wrote:
> "ray3d84" <ray3...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>
> news:6FE0BFE2-5CB5-4942-B375-6F27824561C8@microsoft.com...
>
> > We have a domain which s headquartered in London. We have Sites in NY,SF,
> > DC,
> > VIENA,HK, ETC. Each site has a domain controller. Outlook is configured
> > manually using the desktop icon which always defaults to the BGUKSVR06
> > server.
>
> I remember at one point reading up on a way to change this years ago, but I
> can't find the link on it. I believe it had something to do with which DCs
> the Ex server is using in ESM. That's why I had asked which DCs is BGUKSVR06
> using. It may also be an LDAP filter on the OU properties in ADSIEdit for
> the homeMDB attribute (spelling?) that must be changede so when you create a
> user in an OU, it defaults to a different Ex box, but don't quote me on that
> just yet. I just can't remember. For some reason I am associating it to the
> old method of Hosted Exchange altering the OUs for various companies and
> altering which Address list is available to them. I have to find the link.. I
> honestly spend about 30 minutes looking but to no avail. If I find it, I
> will post back, unless someone else beats me to it.
>
> I cross-posted this to the Exchange group to see if those guys have anything
> to add. Just check back here for any responses.
>
> FYI - The poster is looking for a way to change the default Exchange mailbox
> server ADUC selects when creating a new user account based on either Site or
> OU. - Original Post below:
>
>
>
>
>
> >>I work for a company that is running Exchange server 2003 in a windows
> >>2003
> >> server environment. There are two Exchange servers BGNYCSVR02 which is in
> >> the
> >> server for the United States and BGUKSVR06 which is in the UK. I support
> >> the
> >> United Sates.
> >> When I launch Outlook for a new user it points to Exchange server
> >> BGUKSVR06
> >> the UK server. The US sites has its own PDC and the users and computers
> >> are
> >> in their own OU container. Would like to know how to configure have
> >> Outlook
> >> so that it users in the US defaults to BGNYCSVR02 exchange server using
> >> GPO.
>
> >> --
> >> ray3d84
>
> Ace- Hide quoted text -
>
> - Show quoted text -
Previous Topic:Re: Integer8 format in password settings
Next Topic:Restrict Desktop support from Adding Servers to the Domain
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Oct 21 18:58:11 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.03433 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software