Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » ADPREP on Server 2003 RS
ADPREP on Server 2003 RS [message #157767] Tue, 14 July 2009 10:40 Go to next message
Andrew Story  is currently offline Andrew Story  United Kingdom
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hello all,

There's two ADPREP's on the server 2003 disk set, one on disk 1 and one on
disk 2.

When upgrading AD to support Server 2003 DC's do you run one before the
other, or does it not matter?

thanks
Re: ADPREP on Server 2003 RS [message #157771 is a reply to message #157767] Tue, 14 July 2009 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny Sanders  is currently offline Danny Sanders  United States
Messages: 169
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Sounds like you have Win 2k3 R2. The adprep on the first disk will prepare a
Win 2k domain for Win 2k3 servers, and the adprep on the second disk will
prepare a Win 2k3 domain for the new R2 features.

If you are not going to use the new R2 features (the second disk of the set)
you don't need to run adprep from the second disk.


hth
DDS

"Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
news:eSvDaEJBKHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
> Hello all,
>
> There's two ADPREP's on the server 2003 disk set, one on disk 1 and one on
> disk 2.
>
> When upgrading AD to support Server 2003 DC's do you run one before the
> other, or does it not matter?
>
> thanks
>
Re: ADPREP on Server 2003 RS [message #157772 is a reply to message #157771] Tue, 14 July 2009 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrew Story  is currently offline Andrew Story  United Kingdom
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2009
Member
Thanks Danny,

I've read that you run it from the disk, also read you copy adprep to the
hard disk, does this matter which way?

Also, do you know what additional active direcoty functionality you get by
upgrading to R2 over 2k3 SP2?

Cheers, Andy

"Danny Sanders" <dsanders@NOSPAMbrakesplus.com> wrote in message
news:eAv5NUJBKHA.5092@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Sounds like you have Win 2k3 R2. The adprep on the first disk will prepare
> a Win 2k domain for Win 2k3 servers, and the adprep on the second disk
> will prepare a Win 2k3 domain for the new R2 features.
>
> If you are not going to use the new R2 features (the second disk of the
> set) you don't need to run adprep from the second disk.
>
>
> hth
> DDS
>
> "Andrew Story" <andrewDOTstoryATjameswalkerDOTbiz> wrote in message
> news:eSvDaEJBKHA.5068@TK2MSFTNGP02.phx.gbl...
>> Hello all,
>>
>> There's two ADPREP's on the server 2003 disk set, one on disk 1 and one
>> on disk 2.
>>
>> When upgrading AD to support Server 2003 DC's do you run one before the
>> other, or does it not matter?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>
>
Re: ADPREP on Server 2003 RS [message #157779 is a reply to message #157772] Tue, 14 July 2009 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
florian  is currently offline florian  Germany
Messages: 484
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Howdie!

Andrew Story schrieb:
> I've read that you run it from the disk, also read you copy adprep to the
> hard disk, does this matter which way?

You can do it either way. Make sure you use adprep from the second disk,
if you're on Server 2003 R2.

> Also, do you know what additional active direcoty functionality you get by
> upgrading to R2 over 2k3 SP2?

ADFS is introduced in R2 as well as a few smaller changes like ADAM
included into the media (not a web download any more) -- and they
changed a few things on DFS.

cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Re: ADPREP on Server 2003 RS [message #157787 is a reply to message #157767] Tue, 14 July 2009 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello Andrew,

The first one includes the schema upgrade 14 up to 30 belonging to windows
server 2003 and the second one contains 14 up to 31, where 31 is the schema
update belonging to R2 version when it should become a DC.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Hello all,
>
> There's two ADPREP's on the server 2003 disk set, one on disk 1 and
> one on disk 2.
>
> When upgrading AD to support Server 2003 DC's do you run one before
> the other, or does it not matter?
>
> thanks
>
Re: ADPREP on Server 2003 RS [message #157824 is a reply to message #157779] Wed, 15 July 2009 04:04 Go to previous message
Andrew Story  is currently offline Andrew Story  United Kingdom
Messages: 74
Registered: July 2009
Member
Thanks for all the answers guys, makes more sense now.


"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" <florian@frickelsoft.DELETETHIS.net> wrote in
message news:%23x%23$FAKBKHA.528@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Howdie!
>
> Andrew Story schrieb:
>> I've read that you run it from the disk, also read you copy adprep to the
>> hard disk, does this matter which way?
>
> You can do it either way. Make sure you use adprep from the second disk,
> if you're on Server 2003 R2.
>
>> Also, do you know what additional active direcoty functionality you get
>> by upgrading to R2 over 2k3 SP2?
>
> ADFS is introduced in R2 as well as a few smaller changes like ADAM
> included into the media (not a web download any more) -- and they changed
> a few things on DFS.
>
> cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Previous Topic:using Admodify, version difference.
Next Topic:Windows 2008 Additional DC
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Oct 18 01:31:00 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04893 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software