Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » Preparing Network Connections
Preparing Network Connections [message #159417] Wed, 29 July 2009 14:46 Go to next message
mtj7009  is currently offline mtj7009
Messages: 9
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
We had a situation during which we had to power down all domain controllers
in a site including the FSMO role holders. When powering backup I started
the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung at
the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading some
posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers are
the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.

Is there a better way for us to prevent this happening (2003 Domain
Controllers, starting to introduce 2008) if we had to do this again?

Should i add a standalone DNS server and bring that up prior to Domain
Controllers?

Thanks
Re: Preparing Network Connections [message #159420 is a reply to message #159417] Wed, 29 July 2009 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Danny Sanders  is currently offline Danny Sanders  United States
Messages: 169
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
When powering backup I started
> the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung at
> the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
> some
> posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
> are
> the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.


It sounds like each DC holding DNS is pointed to the other for DNS?

If so point each DC to itself for DNS. Use the actual IP address not
127.0.0.1.


hth
DDS

"mtj7009" <MTJ7009@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:C6E29BC2-92AE-4B1A-BEF7-21F63F6C2D89@microsoft.com...
> We had a situation during which we had to power down all domain
> controllers
> in a site including the FSMO role holders. When powering backup I started
> the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung at
> the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
> some
> posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
> are
> the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
>
> Is there a better way for us to prevent this happening (2003 Domain
> Controllers, starting to introduce 2008) if we had to do this again?
>
> Should i add a standalone DNS server and bring that up prior to Domain
> Controllers?
>
> Thanks
Re: Preparing Network Connections [message #159421 is a reply to message #159420] Wed, 29 July 2009 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mtj7009  is currently offline mtj7009
Messages: 9
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Actually each DC points at its own ip address first in DNS and the other
second.

"Danny Sanders" wrote:

> When powering backup I started
> > the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung at
> > the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
> > some
> > posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
> > are
> > the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
>
>
> It sounds like each DC holding DNS is pointed to the other for DNS?
>
> If so point each DC to itself for DNS. Use the actual IP address not
> 127.0.0.1.
>
>
> hth
> DDS
>
> "mtj7009" <MTJ7009@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> news:C6E29BC2-92AE-4B1A-BEF7-21F63F6C2D89@microsoft.com...
> > We had a situation during which we had to power down all domain
> > controllers
> > in a site including the FSMO role holders. When powering backup I started
> > the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung at
> > the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
> > some
> > posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
> > are
> > the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
> >
> > Is there a better way for us to prevent this happening (2003 Domain
> > Controllers, starting to introduce 2008) if we had to do this again?
> >
> > Should i add a standalone DNS server and bring that up prior to Domain
> > Controllers?
> >
> > Thanks
>
>
>
Re: Preparing Network Connections [message #159422 is a reply to message #159420] Wed, 29 July 2009 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony  is currently offline anthony
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Its an oddity.
You really don't want all DC's off at the same time if you can help it. You
have an obvious "bootstrap" problem if you do. If a DC points to itself it
must wait until the DNS service is started. If it points to another DC it
must wait until that DC is started. Fortunately they do start, but there is
a delay
Anthony
http://ww.airdesk.com



"Danny Sanders" <dsanders@NOSPAMbrakesplus.com> wrote in message
news:ucf#Q9IEKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> When powering backup I started
>> the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung
>> at
>> the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
>> some
>> posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
>> are
>> the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
>
>
> It sounds like each DC holding DNS is pointed to the other for DNS?
>
> If so point each DC to itself for DNS. Use the actual IP address not
> 127.0.0.1.
>
>
> hth
> DDS
>
> "mtj7009" <MTJ7009@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> news:C6E29BC2-92AE-4B1A-BEF7-21F63F6C2D89@microsoft.com...
>> We had a situation during which we had to power down all domain
>> controllers
>> in a site including the FSMO role holders. When powering backup I
>> started
>> the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung
>> at
>> the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
>> some
>> posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
>> are
>> the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
>>
>> Is there a better way for us to prevent this happening (2003 Domain
>> Controllers, starting to introduce 2008) if we had to do this again?
>>
>> Should i add a standalone DNS server and bring that up prior to Domain
>> Controllers?
>>
>> Thanks
>
>
Re: Preparing Network Connections [message #159424 is a reply to message #159422] Wed, 29 July 2009 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mtj7009  is currently offline mtj7009
Messages: 9
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Would having a standalone DNS server have helped me, or adding a third DNS
entry to a remote DNS server?

"Anthony [MVP]" wrote:

> Its an oddity.
> You really don't want all DC's off at the same time if you can help it. You
> have an obvious "bootstrap" problem if you do. If a DC points to itself it
> must wait until the DNS service is started. If it points to another DC it
> must wait until that DC is started. Fortunately they do start, but there is
> a delay
> Anthony
> http://ww.airdesk.com
>
>
>
> "Danny Sanders" <dsanders@NOSPAMbrakesplus.com> wrote in message
> news:ucf#Q9IEKHA.4168@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> > When powering backup I started
> >> the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung
> >> at
> >> the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
> >> some
> >> posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
> >> are
> >> the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
> >
> >
> > It sounds like each DC holding DNS is pointed to the other for DNS?
> >
> > If so point each DC to itself for DNS. Use the actual IP address not
> > 127.0.0.1.
> >
> >
> > hth
> > DDS
> >
> > "mtj7009" <MTJ7009@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
> > news:C6E29BC2-92AE-4B1A-BEF7-21F63F6C2D89@microsoft.com...
> >> We had a situation during which we had to power down all domain
> >> controllers
> >> in a site including the FSMO role holders. When powering backup I
> >> started
> >> the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung
> >> at
> >> the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
> >> some
> >> posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
> >> are
> >> the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
> >>
> >> Is there a better way for us to prevent this happening (2003 Domain
> >> Controllers, starting to introduce 2008) if we had to do this again?
> >>
> >> Should i add a standalone DNS server and bring that up prior to Domain
> >> Controllers?
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> >
Re: Preparing Network Connections [message #159428 is a reply to message #159417] Wed, 29 July 2009 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello mtj7009,

You need at least one DNS server that belongs to the domain that is up and
running to prevent this. What you see is normal behaviour when all DC/DNS
are shutdown and reboot.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> We had a situation during which we had to power down all domain
> controllers in a site including the FSMO role holders. When powering
> backup I started the FSMO role holder, and the second domain
> controller. They both hung at the "preparing network connections" for
> a very long time. After reading some posts, i get the feeling this is
> related to DNS not being up (dns servers are the two domain
> controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
>
> Is there a better way for us to prevent this happening (2003 Domain
> Controllers, starting to introduce 2008) if we had to do this again?
>
> Should i add a standalone DNS server and bring that up prior to Domain
> Controllers?
>
> Thanks
>
Re: Preparing Network Connections [message #159430 is a reply to message #159417] Wed, 29 July 2009 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Silva  is currently offline Jorge Silva
Messages: 398
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi
To speed up the boot process, always do reboots on the DCs one at the time.
Additionally point each other preferred DNS to the closest DC rather than to
itself, to "Alternate DNS" settings you could point the DC to itself.

--
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.

Jorge Silva
MVP Directory Services
"mtj7009" <MTJ7009@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:C6E29BC2-92AE-4B1A-BEF7-21F63F6C2D89@microsoft.com...
> We had a situation during which we had to power down all domain
> controllers
> in a site including the FSMO role holders. When powering backup I started
> the FSMO role holder, and the second domain controller. They both hung at
> the "preparing network connections" for a very long time. After reading
> some
> posts, i get the feeling this is related to DNS not being up (dns servers
> are
> the two domain controllers) prior to netlogon service start.
>
> Is there a better way for us to prevent this happening (2003 Domain
> Controllers, starting to introduce 2008) if we had to do this again?
>
> Should i add a standalone DNS server and bring that up prior to Domain
> Controllers?
>
> Thanks
Re: Preparing Network Connections [message #159454 is a reply to message #159424] Wed, 29 July 2009 18:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"mtj7009" <MTJ7009@newsgroup.nospam> wrote in message
news:372C34F7-5627-4BD0-B8BB-5468DA06F35E@microsoft.com...
> Would having a standalone DNS server have helped me, or adding a third DNS
> entry to a remote DNS server?


What did you have in mind? All DCs point to a non-DC DNS? The zone would be
a secondary zone at best. Honestly I wouldn't do something like that. I
think careful planning of installing updates or whatever the need to reboot,
is scheduled one after the other and not all at once, is your best bet. I
have one customer with 10 DCs. I simply run updates on them one at a time,
and when the one comes up, I make sure it's up and running with no errors in
the event logs, then go to the next.


--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from collaboration
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer
aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org
http://twitter.com/acefekay

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please
check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
RE: Preparing Network Connections [message #159456 is a reply to message #159417] Wed, 29 July 2009 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
v-mervzh  is currently offline v-mervzh
Messages: 39
Registered: July 2009
Member
Hi,

As explained by other people, this is normal behavior. You can try to make
the Netlogon Service dependent on the DNS Service to avoid this issue.

Reference: How to delay loading of specific services
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/193888

Please note: The managed support service of the newsgroup active_directory
is now available instead on
Directory Services
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverDS /threads

Would you please repost the question in the forum with the Windows Live ID
used to access your Subscription benefits? Our engineers will assist you in
the new platform. In the future, please post your Directory Service related
questions directly to the forums. If you have any questions or concerns,
please feel free to contact us: tngfb@microsoft.com.

Regards,
Mervyn Zhang
Microsoft Online Community Support

==================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
RE: Preparing Network Connections [message #160311 is a reply to message #159456] Mon, 24 August 2009 14:02 Go to previous message
Paul in Montreal  is currently offline Paul in Montreal
Messages: 1
Registered: August 2009
Junior Member
Try updating .NET Framework to latest version using Windows Update. It
solved the long delay I had at "Preparing network connections..." (XPPro-SP2
Centrino Duo). Hope it's helpful.
Previous Topic:Change Domain Name
Next Topic:add child domain without installing dns
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Jan 20 08:28:56 MST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07402 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software