Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » Renaming Netbios Name of Domain so End Users see new name
Renaming Netbios Name of Domain so End Users see new name [message #159917] Wed, 12 August 2009 13:18 Go to next message
Kyle BLake  is currently offline Kyle BLake
Messages: 3
Registered: August 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

There is no easy was to have end users log in to a different name instead of
the old company name is there? I've read so many articles on it and using
the rename tool can cause severe problems with Outlook 2007 that is running
in our domain. Has no 3rd party company made a tool to handle this?

It almost sounds like 9/10 times the only solution left is to start up a
whole brand new domain + forest ...and slowly migrate end users over after
the trust is established.

Do most of you agree with my statements?
Re: Renaming Netbios Name of Domain so End Users see new name [message #159919 is a reply to message #159917] Wed, 12 August 2009 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anthony  is currently offline anthony
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Kyle,
How big and how complicated is the domain?
You just want users to see a different domain name when they log in?
Anthony
http://www.airdesk.com


"Kyle BLake" <KyleBLake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:BD630FA2-31C8-4B1B-A778-43906786F0BE@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
>
> There is no easy was to have end users log in to a different name instead
> of
> the old company name is there? I've read so many articles on it and using
> the rename tool can cause severe problems with Outlook 2007 that is
> running
> in our domain. Has no 3rd party company made a tool to handle this?
>
> It almost sounds like 9/10 times the only solution left is to start up a
> whole brand new domain + forest ...and slowly migrate end users over after
> the trust is established.
>
> Do most of you agree with my statements?
>
>
>
RE: Renaming Netbios Name of Domain so End Users see new name [message #159920 is a reply to message #159917] Wed, 12 August 2009 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyle BLake  is currently offline Kyle BLake
Messages: 3
Registered: August 2009
Junior Member
I'd say a several hundred users, Exchange 2007(sorry I mentioned Outlook
2007). Lots of OCS ,RMS, most microsoft offerings. AD 2003 DC'S.
That is complicated.

Yes, just want end users to log in to different name.
Is there a way to make a pseudo name?


"Kyle BLake" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is no easy was to have end users log in to a different name instead of
> the old company name is there? I've read so many articles on it and using
> the rename tool can cause severe problems with Outlook 2007 that is running
> in our domain. Has no 3rd party company made a tool to handle this?
>
> It almost sounds like 9/10 times the only solution left is to start up a
> whole brand new domain + forest ...and slowly migrate end users over after
> the trust is established.
>
> Do most of you agree with my statements?
>
>
>
Re: Renaming Netbios Name of Domain so End Users see new name [message #159922 is a reply to message #159920] Wed, 12 August 2009 14:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Kyle BLake" <KyleBLake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:3DEEE614-1B63-490D-8C73-CDA13B8712AB@microsoft.com...
> I'd say a several hundred users, Exchange 2007(sorry I mentioned Outlook
> 2007). Lots of OCS ,RMS, most microsoft offerings. AD 2003 DC'S.
> That is complicated.
>
> Yes, just want end users to log in to different name.
> Is there a way to make a pseudo name?
>
>


Funny, this post looks familiar. Did you post this question elsewhere? I
honestly thought I provided an answer to a similar post. Maybe I'm getting
senile...

Anyway, with Exchange 2007 installed, it's not possible for a domain rename.
You would literally have to PST out all mailboxes and public folders, then
uninstall Exchange 2007. Then run the domain rename. Then reinstall Exchange
2007, and pump all the PSTs back into their respective mailboxes and public
folders.

Exchange 2007 installed is not supported:
The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service does not start on a computer
that is running Exchange Server 2007 after you rename a Windows Server 2003
domain
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925822

Exchange 2007 and Domain Rename - You can't rename when exchange 2007 is
installed.
http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2008/0 4/04/exchange-2007-and-domain-rename.aspx

This article will show you how to use a temp domain with Exchange 2007
installed to move all of your mailboxes and PFs to this temp organization,
then uninstall Exchange 2007, rename the domain, re-install Exchange 2007,
then move the mailboxes and PFs back to the original organization:
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvr migration/thread/31784c7f-beaa-4d83-b0ce-387a85431c94

--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from collaboration
among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
Re: Renaming Netbios Name of Domain so End Users see new name [message #159924 is a reply to message #159922] Wed, 12 August 2009 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kyle BLake  is currently offline Kyle BLake
Messages: 3
Registered: August 2009
Junior Member
I did notice you replied to another post and mentioned the same things.
Thank you so much.

Has anyone thought about upgrading the domain to Windows 2008 and then
renaming domain or is that the same headache?



"Ace Fekay [MCT]" wrote:

> "Kyle BLake" <KyleBLake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:3DEEE614-1B63-490D-8C73-CDA13B8712AB@microsoft.com...
> > I'd say a several hundred users, Exchange 2007(sorry I mentioned Outlook
> > 2007). Lots of OCS ,RMS, most microsoft offerings. AD 2003 DC'S.
> > That is complicated.
> >
> > Yes, just want end users to log in to different name.
> > Is there a way to make a pseudo name?
> >
> >
>
>
> Funny, this post looks familiar. Did you post this question elsewhere? I
> honestly thought I provided an answer to a similar post. Maybe I'm getting
> senile...
>
> Anyway, with Exchange 2007 installed, it's not possible for a domain rename.
> You would literally have to PST out all mailboxes and public folders, then
> uninstall Exchange 2007. Then run the domain rename. Then reinstall Exchange
> 2007, and pump all the PSTs back into their respective mailboxes and public
> folders.
>
> Exchange 2007 installed is not supported:
> The Microsoft Exchange System Attendant service does not start on a computer
> that is running Exchange Server 2007 after you rename a Windows Server 2003
> domain
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925822
>
> Exchange 2007 and Domain Rename - You can't rename when exchange 2007 is
> installed.
> http://theessentialexchange.com/blogs/michael/archive/2008/0 4/04/exchange-2007-and-domain-rename.aspx
>
> This article will show you how to use a temp domain with Exchange 2007
> installed to move all of your mailboxes and PFs to this temp organization,
> then uninstall Exchange 2007, rename the domain, re-install Exchange 2007,
> then move the mailboxes and PFs back to the original organization:
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvr migration/thread/31784c7f-beaa-4d83-b0ce-387a85431c94
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum to benefit from collaboration
> among responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCT, MCTS Exchange, MCSE, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
>
> For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
> http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>
>
Re: Renaming Netbios Name of Domain so End Users see new name [message #159936 is a reply to message #159924] Wed, 12 August 2009 18:58 Go to previous message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Kyle BLake" <KyleBLake@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:037B180E-E664-4417-8448-87CFC8E56909@microsoft.com...
>I did notice you replied to another post and mentioned the same things.
> Thank you so much.
>
> Has anyone thought about upgrading the domain to Windows 2008 and then
> renaming domain or is that the same headache?

I looked back and found that wasn't you. I thought I was going nuts! :-)

You could install a new domain and *migrate* to it, but not an upgrade,
because that doesn't change things. An upgrade is the same domain name, as
well as the fact Exchange 2007 is still involved.

Sorry...

Ace
Previous Topic:Show when users logged on and off?
Next Topic:Share printers in 2003 domain
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jan 17 05:39:29 MST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.01826 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software