Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » Group Policy Migration
Group Policy Migration [message #161655] Mon, 05 October 2009 11:42 Go to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike
Messages: 503
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I am now looking to migrate the group policies from 2003 server to a new 2008
server. Do you have suggestions on the best procedure? I see that you have
to migrate them from the adm file type to admx file type. I also checked the
2008 server and the group policies are there. How do I verify that the
settings are there and will be implemented correctly (I have not converted
them)?
Re: Group Policy Migration [message #161656 is a reply to message #161655] Mon, 05 October 2009 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
florian  is currently offline florian  Germany
Messages: 484
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Mike,

mike schrieb:
> I am now looking to migrate the group policies from 2003 server to a new 2008
> server. Do you have suggestions on the best procedure? I see that you have
> to migrate them from the adm file type to admx file type. I also checked the
> 2008 server and the group policies are there. How do I verify that the
> settings are there and will be implemented correctly (I have not converted
> them)?

Is there a reason behind your efforts trying to "migrate" to Server 2008
Group Policy? Technically, there's little reason to really "migrate" as
you can use both legacy ADM templates as well as new ADMX and Preference
settings without issues. All it takes is an up-to-date machine with RSAT
installed that is capable of administering the new settings.

Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of re-defining existing
Group Policies but would leave them alone. Instead, I would take care
that the "Central Store" is existing and working and use Vista+ machines
to administer and create Group Policy -- so that new policies are
created with ADMX templates and you can use GP Preferences.

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Re: Group Policy Migration [message #161657 is a reply to message #161656] Mon, 05 October 2009 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike
Messages: 503
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
I'm new at this and just trying to make sure that when we take the 2003
server down that the 2008 server handles everyting correctly (set up right).
Any advice is appreciated.

"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> mike schrieb:
> > I am now looking to migrate the group policies from 2003 server to a new 2008
> > server. Do you have suggestions on the best procedure? I see that you have
> > to migrate them from the adm file type to admx file type. I also checked the
> > 2008 server and the group policies are there. How do I verify that the
> > settings are there and will be implemented correctly (I have not converted
> > them)?
>
> Is there a reason behind your efforts trying to "migrate" to Server 2008
> Group Policy? Technically, there's little reason to really "migrate" as
> you can use both legacy ADM templates as well as new ADMX and Preference
> settings without issues. All it takes is an up-to-date machine with RSAT
> installed that is capable of administering the new settings.
>
> Personally, I wouldn't go through the hassle of re-defining existing
> Group Policies but would leave them alone. Instead, I would take care
> that the "Central Store" is existing and working and use Vista+ machines
> to administer and create Group Policy -- so that new policies are
> created with ADMX templates and you can use GP Preferences.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
>
Re: Group Policy Migration [message #161660 is a reply to message #161657] Mon, 05 October 2009 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
florian  is currently offline florian  Germany
Messages: 484
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Mike,

mike schrieb:
> I'm new at this and just trying to make sure that when we take the 2003
> server down that the 2008 server handles everyting correctly (set up right).
> Any advice is appreciated.

It sounds like you're running a one-DC scenario which is a bad idea. You
should have two DCs at any time as that ensures that, if one goes down,
business can continue.

Apart from that, there's not much you need to do in terms of GP
preparation. In fact, it doesn't matter what method was used to create
GPs before - ADM or ADMX. It's just a management thing. The result (the
..POL files on the SYSVOL folder) are the same - no matter what templates
you've used.

If you're up to demote the Server 2003 machine, do so. Make sure you
have a management station (Win Vista/Win7) with RSAT (and GPMC)
installed that is ready to manage GPs.

Cheers,
Florian
--
Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Re: Group Policy Migration [message #161705 is a reply to message #161660] Tue, 06 October 2009 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mike  is currently offline Mike
Messages: 503
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Can the 2008 server not manage the GP's as I am a bit confused?

"Make sure you have a management station (Win Vista/Win7) with RSAT (and
GPMC)"

"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> mike schrieb:
> > I'm new at this and just trying to make sure that when we take the 2003
> > server down that the 2008 server handles everyting correctly (set up right).
> > Any advice is appreciated.
>
> It sounds like you're running a one-DC scenario which is a bad idea. You
> should have two DCs at any time as that ensures that, if one goes down,
> business can continue.
>
> Apart from that, there's not much you need to do in terms of GP
> preparation. In fact, it doesn't matter what method was used to create
> GPs before - ADM or ADMX. It's just a management thing. The result (the
> ..POL files on the SYSVOL folder) are the same - no matter what templates
> you've used.
>
> If you're up to demote the Server 2003 machine, do so. Make sure you
> have a management station (Win Vista/Win7) with RSAT (and GPMC)
> installed that is ready to manage GPs.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
>
Re: Group Policy Migration [message #161708 is a reply to message #161705] Tue, 06 October 2009 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb  is currently offline meiweb  Germany
Messages: 2225
Registered: September 2009
Senior Member
Hello Mike,

If you have the server as Dc or GPMC is installed from the features you can
also manage GPOs that way. On windows 7 and Vista you have to install RSAT
and enable the needed management consoles.

But as FLorian stated at least you should have 2 DC/DNS/GC per domain.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Can the 2008 server not manage the GP's as I am a bit confused?
>
> "Make sure you have a management station (Win Vista/Win7) with RSAT
> (and GPMC)"
>
> "Florian Frommherz [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Mike,
>>
>> mike schrieb:
>>
>>> I'm new at this and just trying to make sure that when we take the
>>> 2003 server down that the 2008 server handles everyting correctly
>>> (set up right). Any advice is appreciated.
>>>
>> It sounds like you're running a one-DC scenario which is a bad idea.
>> You should have two DCs at any time as that ensures that, if one goes
>> down, business can continue.
>>
>> Apart from that, there's not much you need to do in terms of GP
>> preparation. In fact, it doesn't matter what method was used to
>> create GPs before - ADM or ADMX. It's just a management thing. The
>> result (the ..POL files on the SYSVOL folder) are the same - no
>> matter what templates you've used.
>>
>> If you're up to demote the Server 2003 machine, do so. Make sure you
>> have a management station (Win Vista/Win7) with RSAT (and GPMC)
>> installed that is ready to manage GPs.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Florian
>> --
>> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
>> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
>> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
>> Maillist (german):
>> http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
Re: Group Policy Migration [message #340214 is a reply to message #161660] Thu, 10 December 2009 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mcintoshs  is currently offline mcintoshs
Messages: 25
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Florian,
We have a number of administrators who will not all be migrating their
computers over from XP to Win7 and, therefore, cannot yet install RSAT. Does
it pose any problem if GP management continues on as before from those XP
workstations? I understand they would be unable to manage from XP settings
for IE8 which require admx.
Thanks,
Scott

"Florian Frommherz [MVP]" wrote:

> Mike,
>
> mike schrieb:
> > I'm new at this and just trying to make sure that when we take the 2003
> > server down that the 2008 server handles everyting correctly (set up right).
> > Any advice is appreciated.
>
> It sounds like you're running a one-DC scenario which is a bad idea. You
> should have two DCs at any time as that ensures that, if one goes down,
> business can continue.
>
> Apart from that, there's not much you need to do in terms of GP
> preparation. In fact, it doesn't matter what method was used to create
> GPs before - ADM or ADMX. It's just a management thing. The result (the
> ..POL files on the SYSVOL folder) are the same - no matter what templates
> you've used.
>
> If you're up to demote the Server 2003 machine, do so. Make sure you
> have a management station (Win Vista/Win7) with RSAT (and GPMC)
> installed that is ready to manage GPs.
>
> Cheers,
> Florian
> --
> Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
>
Re: Group Policy Migration [message #340252 is a reply to message #340214] Thu, 10 December 2009 12:45 Go to previous message
mcintoshs  is currently offline mcintoshs
Messages: 25
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Just noted this article:
http://blogs.technet.com/askds/archive/2009/12/09/windows-7- windows-server-2008-r2-and-the-group-policy-central-store.as px
We have 3 DC's in a central site and an additional 9 DC's at remote sites
across point-to-point T1 lines which can get congested at times. Does the
replication of the admx files across the DC's make it obligatory to set up a
Central Store Terminal Server as stated in this article.
Also, in creating the Central Store, is it necessary to copy both the
PolicyDefinitions folder and its ADMX contents as well as the en-us subfolder
and all of its ADML contents? Or is just the PolicyDefinitions with ADMX but
not the en-us and its ADML files?
Finally, if ADMX files are not replicated from the PDC Emulator across all
DC's will clients at DC's not containing the ADMX files not get the required
Group Policy settings. We have about one hundred GPO's.
Thanks,
Scott

"mcintoshs" wrote:

> Florian,
> We have a number of administrators who will not all be migrating their
> computers over from XP to Win7 and, therefore, cannot yet install RSAT. Does
> it pose any problem if GP management continues on as before from those XP
> workstations? I understand they would be unable to manage from XP settings
> for IE8 which require admx.
> Thanks,
> Scott
>
> "Florian Frommherz [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Mike,
> >
> > mike schrieb:
> > > I'm new at this and just trying to make sure that when we take the 2003
> > > server down that the 2008 server handles everyting correctly (set up right).
> > > Any advice is appreciated.
> >
> > It sounds like you're running a one-DC scenario which is a bad idea. You
> > should have two DCs at any time as that ensures that, if one goes down,
> > business can continue.
> >
> > Apart from that, there's not much you need to do in terms of GP
> > preparation. In fact, it doesn't matter what method was used to create
> > GPs before - ADM or ADMX. It's just a management thing. The result (the
> > ..POL files on the SYSVOL folder) are the same - no matter what templates
> > you've used.
> >
> > If you're up to demote the Server 2003 machine, do so. Make sure you
> > have a management station (Win Vista/Win7) with RSAT (and GPMC)
> > installed that is ready to manage GPs.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Florian
> > --
> > Microsoft MVP - Group Policy
> > eMail: prename [at] frickelsoft [dot] net.
> > blog: http://www.frickelsoft.net/blog.
> > Maillist (german): http://frickelsoft.net/cms/index.php?page=mailingliste
> >
Previous Topic:Windows 7
Next Topic:Managing Group Policy in a Windows Server 2003 Environment
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Jan 19 00:37:13 MST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.07920 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software