Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Windows Server General Help » DHCP coming from Remotes Server
DHCP coming from Remotes Server [message #163567] Wed, 03 June 2009 12:48 Go to next message
hemo_jr  is currently offline hemo_jr  United States
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
I have a remote site with its own DHCP server. However, the majority
of clients there get their addresses from an older, slower (and
supposedly backup) DHCP server here. The two sites are connected
using VPN. Currently the ratio is 54 leases from the remote DHCP
server to 14 leases from the local server.

This makes no sense to me. If the local DHCP server is servicing IP
addresses at all, it should have essentially all the leases. It is
not only local, but on a faster machine.

The service is running and the only messages I see in the Event logs
is that it has determined it its authorized and is now servicing
clients.

Is there any way to test/tune the DHCP server? Any ideas?
Re: DHCP coming from Remotes Server [message #163578 is a reply to message #163567] Wed, 03 June 2009 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phillip Windell  is currently offline Phillip Windell  United States
Messages: 526
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
You need to run each Site with its own IP Subnet. Running both on the same
subnet is just asking,...no, begging,...for trouble.

On top of that, Active Directory Sites and Services does not work correctly
when subnets are shared between Sites.


--
Phillip Windell

The views expressed, are my own and not those of my employer, or Microsoft,
or anyone else associated with me, including my cats.
-----------------------------------------------------


"hemo_jr" <hemojr@gmail.com> wrote in message
news:cd232300-d295-44ad-95cf-612338613072@w40g2000yqd.googlegroups.com...
>I have a remote site with its own DHCP server. However, the majority
> of clients there get their addresses from an older, slower (and
> supposedly backup) DHCP server here. The two sites are connected
> using VPN. Currently the ratio is 54 leases from the remote DHCP
> server to 14 leases from the local server.
>
> This makes no sense to me. If the local DHCP server is servicing IP
> addresses at all, it should have essentially all the leases. It is
> not only local, but on a faster machine.
>
> The service is running and the only messages I see in the Event logs
> is that it has determined it its authorized and is now servicing
> clients.
>
> Is there any way to test/tune the DHCP server? Any ideas?
Re: DHCP coming from Remotes Server [message #163593 is a reply to message #163578] Wed, 03 June 2009 22:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemo_jr  is currently offline hemo_jr  United States
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
On Jun 3, 1:32 pm, "Phillip Windell" <philwind...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> You need to run each Site with its own IP Subnet.  Running both on the same
> subnet is just asking,...no, begging,...for trouble.
>
> On top of that, Active Directory Sites and Services does not work correctly
> when subnets are shared between Sites.
>

Unfortunately, this is not the issue here. the remote location is
setup as a separate site and with its own subnet.

--
Matt Hickman.
"'Tut, tut,' the dragon tapped back. 'Unreasoned anguish is
nonetheless real.'"
- Robert A. Heinlein _Between Planets_
Re: DHCP coming from Remotes Server [message #163597 is a reply to message #163593] Wed, 03 June 2009 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KevinJ.SBS  is currently offline KevinJ.SBS  United States
Messages: 653
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
hemo_jr wrote:
> On Jun 3, 1:32 pm, "Phillip Windell" <philwind...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>> You need to run each Site with its own IP Subnet. Running both on
>> the same subnet is just asking,...no, begging,...for trouble.
>>
>> On top of that, Active Directory Sites and Services does not work
>> correctly when subnets are shared between Sites.
>>
>
> Unfortunately, this is not the issue here. the remote location is
> setup as a separate site and with its own subnet.

Sounds like a dhcp relay has been setup on a router. How is the site 2 site
VPN configured?

--
/kj
Re: DHCP coming from Remotes Server [message #163713 is a reply to message #163597] Fri, 05 June 2009 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hemo_jr  is currently offline hemo_jr  United States
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
On Jun 3, 10:14 pm, "kj [SBS MVP]" <KevinJ....@SPAMFREE.gmail.com>
wrote:

> Sounds like a dhcp relay has been setup on a router. How is the site 2 site
> VPN configured?

static VPN between two Firebox Edge routers.

I was just asking for tool suggestions & other ways to test to help
me figure out the problem. However, another possibly relevant fact is
that the less responsive DHCP server is running 2003 x64, while the
one in the main office doing all the work is your normal 32 bit
windows server 2003.
Re: DHCP coming from Remotes Server [message #163995 is a reply to message #163567] Thu, 11 June 2009 09:55 Go to previous message
hemo_jr  is currently offline hemo_jr  United States
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
The issue, apparently, is that the "conflict detection attempts" was
set to 2 for the local DHCP server. This must have given time for the
remote server to respond with an address before the local server
finished its conflict detection.

--
Matt Hickman
If you believe in wavicles, you can believe in anything...
Robert A. Heinlein (1907 - 1988)
_Have Space Suit Will Travel_ c. 1958
Previous Topic:Windows 2003 Server IP address problem !
Next Topic:NTDS Replication
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Aug 20 18:49:13 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06301 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software