Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Windows Server General Help » Win2K3 - cannot open files without extension
Win2K3 - cannot open files without extension [message #163815] Mon, 08 June 2009 10:44 Go to next message
abckid  is currently offline abckid
Messages: 15
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

We are having a strange problem.

I have some files in a shared folder without any extensions.
When i goto the file directly from the drive location e.g. C:\folder\file
and double-click the file, it prompts and asks to open with which program.
But when i try to open this file from within the server from he share e.g.
\\servername\folder\file and double-click the file, it gives me error as
"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have
th appropriate permissions to access the item."
Same, if i try to open this file from any other PC (WinXP) and opent the
file e.g. \\servername\folder\file, it prompts and asks to open the file from
which program.

We want that, when we try to open the file from the Server (Win2K3) e.g.
\\servername\folder\file, it should prompt and ask for which program to open
with.

Is this anything related to security in Windows Server 2003 ? Please guide.

Thanks in advance.

abc.
Re: Win2K3 - cannot open files without extension [message #163818 is a reply to message #163815] Mon, 08 June 2009 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello abckid,

"Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have
the appropriate permissions to access the item" sounds for me like a permission
problem on the share or NFTS permissions. How are they configured?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
> have th appropriate permissions to access the item
>
Re: Win2K3 - cannot open files without extension [message #163824 is a reply to message #163818] Mon, 08 June 2009 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abckid  is currently offline abckid
Messages: 15
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

Thanks for reply.

i thought the same when i got this error. So i gave the user with which i
was logged in full control permissions on Security Tab and also in the share
permission. The domain user was initially member of local administrators
group, and finally i gave it domain admin rights too.
If it was related to some NTFS or share permission, then i created a new
folder in other drive, shared it (e.g. foldershare) and gave full rights to
everyone group and local administrators group. then i created a new text file
in that folder named abc.txt. I accessed this file from Start - Run then
\\servername\foldershare and the open the file abc.txt successfully. Then i
renamed the file and removed the ext- .txt and tried to open the file again,
i get the same error !!!
If i goto the folder location from drive like C:\foldershare and then open
the file without extention it prompts for which program to open with. This
does not happen when i try to open the file like - \\servername\foldershare
and the open the file.

Now above all creates problem when i am doing from the same Windows 2003
server or any other Win2K3 server. When i try to access this file from WinXP
same way (i.e. \\servername\foldershare) and try to open the file it does
prompts for the program to open with.

I am out of ideas, why is this happening only when i access it from Win2K3
OS and not from WinXP. I am sure this is not related to permission issue.

Please guide if anyone have come across such thing ?

Thanks,

abc.

"Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:

> Hello abckid,
>
> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have
> the appropriate permissions to access the item" sounds for me like a permission
> problem on the share or NFTS permissions. How are they configured?
>
> Best regards
>
> Meinolf Weber
> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> no rights.
> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
>
> > Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
> > have th appropriate permissions to access the item
> >
>
>
>
Re: Win2K3 - cannot open files without extension [message #163852 is a reply to message #163824] Tue, 09 June 2009 00:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
abckid  is currently offline abckid
Messages: 15
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
Hi,

The above problem was due to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security
Configuration enabled. Either adding the share path in the local intranet
zone or removing the IE enhanced security config option resolved the problem.

Thanks,

abc

"abckid" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks for reply.
>
> i thought the same when i got this error. So i gave the user with which i
> was logged in full control permissions on Security Tab and also in the share
> permission. The domain user was initially member of local administrators
> group, and finally i gave it domain admin rights too.
> If it was related to some NTFS or share permission, then i created a new
> folder in other drive, shared it (e.g. foldershare) and gave full rights to
> everyone group and local administrators group. then i created a new text file
> in that folder named abc.txt. I accessed this file from Start - Run then
> \\servername\foldershare and the open the file abc.txt successfully. Then i
> renamed the file and removed the ext- .txt and tried to open the file again,
> i get the same error !!!
> If i goto the folder location from drive like C:\foldershare and then open
> the file without extention it prompts for which program to open with. This
> does not happen when i try to open the file like - \\servername\foldershare
> and the open the file.
>
> Now above all creates problem when i am doing from the same Windows 2003
> server or any other Win2K3 server. When i try to access this file from WinXP
> same way (i.e. \\servername\foldershare) and try to open the file it does
> prompts for the program to open with.
>
> I am out of ideas, why is this happening only when i access it from Win2K3
> OS and not from WinXP. I am sure this is not related to permission issue.
>
> Please guide if anyone have come across such thing ?
>
> Thanks,
>
> abc.
>
> "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:
>
> > Hello abckid,
> >
> > "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not have
> > the appropriate permissions to access the item" sounds for me like a permission
> > problem on the share or NFTS permissions. How are they configured?
> >
> > Best regards
> >
> > Meinolf Weber
> > Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
> > no rights.
> > ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
> > ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
> >
> >
> > > Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may not
> > > have th appropriate permissions to access the item
> > >
> >
> >
> >
Re: Win2K3 - cannot open files without extension [message #163862 is a reply to message #163852] Tue, 09 June 2009 07:32 Go to previous message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello abckid,

Thanks for the uodate how you solved. I have known that option only for .exe
files.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Hi,
>
> The above problem was due to Internet Explorer Enhanced Security
> Configuration enabled. Either adding the share path in the local
> intranet zone or removing the IE enhanced security config option
> resolved the problem.
>
> Thanks,
>
> abc
>
> "abckid" wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for reply.
>>
>> i thought the same when i got this error. So i gave the user with
>> which i
>> was logged in full control permissions on Security Tab and also in
>> the share
>> permission. The domain user was initially member of local
>> administrators
>> group, and finally i gave it domain admin rights too.
>> If it was related to some NTFS or share permission, then i created a
>> new
>> folder in other drive, shared it (e.g. foldershare) and gave full
>> rights to
>> everyone group and local administrators group. then i created a new
>> text file
>> in that folder named abc.txt. I accessed this file from Start - Run
>> then
>> \\servername\foldershare and the open the file abc.txt successfully.
>> Then i
>> renamed the file and removed the ext- .txt and tried to open the file
>> again,
>> i get the same error !!!
>> If i goto the folder location from drive like C:\foldershare and then
>> open
>> the file without extention it prompts for which program to open with.
>> This
>> does not happen when i try to open the file like -
>> \\servername\foldershare
>> and the open the file.
>> Now above all creates problem when i am doing from the same Windows
>> 2003 server or any other Win2K3 server. When i try to access this
>> file from WinXP same way (i.e. \\servername\foldershare) and try to
>> open the file it does prompts for the program to open with.
>>
>> I am out of ideas, why is this happening only when i access it from
>> Win2K3 OS and not from WinXP. I am sure this is not related to
>> permission issue.
>>
>> Please guide if anyone have come across such thing ?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> abc.
>>
>> "Meinolf Weber [MVP-DS]" wrote:
>>
>>> Hello abckid,
>>>
>>> "Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may
>>> not have the appropriate permissions to access the item" sounds for
>>> me like a permission problem on the share or NFTS permissions. How
>>> are they configured?
>>>
>>> Best regards
>>>
>>> Meinolf Weber
>>> Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and
>>> confers
>>> no rights.
>>> ** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
>>> ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>>>> Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file. You may
>>>> not have th appropriate permissions to access the item
>>>>
Previous Topic:Terminal Services restricted Administrator TOO !
Next Topic:event log corrupted
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Tue Aug 22 14:47:02 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.06471 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software