Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Windows Server General Help » Software mirror
Software mirror [message #163875] Tue, 09 June 2009 13:16 Go to next message
mc123  is currently offline mc123
Messages: 3
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
Hi,
I have been testing software mirrors and had question on what the process is
to restore the mirror after primary disk fails. I have googled and read
microsoft, and understand that one uses a floppy if the primary disk fails.
My question now is what the process is to get the mirror back to working
after booting off of the floppy, also why does the second disk not boot
without the floppy? Is this due to a boot sector not being created when
mirroring the drives? If so, what is the best practice for making the
mirrored disk into a primary disk, so that I can then re-establish a mirror
with a new secondary disk. Thank you.
Re: Software mirror [message #163891 is a reply to message #163875] Tue, 09 June 2009 17:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:8756D671-2B08-4916-B1B1-7A9ED86FC22B@microsoft.com...
> Hi,
> I have been testing software mirrors and had question on what the process
> is
> to restore the mirror after primary disk fails. I have googled and read
> microsoft, and understand that one uses a floppy if the primary disk
> fails.
> My question now is what the process is to get the mirror back to working
> after booting off of the floppy, also why does the second disk not boot
> without the floppy? Is this due to a boot sector not being created when
> mirroring the drives? If so, what is the best practice for making the
> mirrored disk into a primary disk, so that I can then re-establish a
> mirror
> with a new secondary disk. Thank you.


Pull the drive out and either change the jumpers on the drive to make it a
Primary on the IDE channel, or change the SCSI ID to 0, or whatever the SCSI
ID that is set to be the boot drive, which can also be changed in the SCSI
card setup utility without pulling the drive out. You can also boot with an
NT bootable floppy and go in and change the boot.ini file to point to the
other drive so it will boot off of that.

Then assuming you replaced the old drive and made it a Secondary for IDE, or
another SCSI ID other than than the boot SCSI ID, then boot up the system
and recreate a new mirror to the new drive. If you changed the boot.ini
file, you will want to change it back after the mirror is created.

--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging, MCT
Microsoft Certified Trainer
aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please
check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

"Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right
things." - Peter F. Drucker
http://twitter.com/acefekay
Re: Software mirror [message #163897 is a reply to message #163891] Tue, 09 June 2009 17:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc123  is currently offline mc123
Messages: 3
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
Hi, thanks for the reply. I have actually done this, and still no boot
happening. I get a blinking cursor before any boot options. From googling
it appears that the boot record on the mirrored drive is not correct. I
guess my question is if I initially need to have two clean disks, but that
have been setup with a valid mbr?? Note that I am able to boot froma floppy.

thanks.

"Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]" wrote:

> "mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:8756D671-2B08-4916-B1B1-7A9ED86FC22B@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have been testing software mirrors and had question on what the process
> > is
> > to restore the mirror after primary disk fails. I have googled and read
> > microsoft, and understand that one uses a floppy if the primary disk
> > fails.
> > My question now is what the process is to get the mirror back to working
> > after booting off of the floppy, also why does the second disk not boot
> > without the floppy? Is this due to a boot sector not being created when
> > mirroring the drives? If so, what is the best practice for making the
> > mirrored disk into a primary disk, so that I can then re-establish a
> > mirror
> > with a new secondary disk. Thank you.
>
>
> Pull the drive out and either change the jumpers on the drive to make it a
> Primary on the IDE channel, or change the SCSI ID to 0, or whatever the SCSI
> ID that is set to be the boot drive, which can also be changed in the SCSI
> card setup utility without pulling the drive out. You can also boot with an
> NT bootable floppy and go in and change the boot.ini file to point to the
> other drive so it will boot off of that.
>
> Then assuming you replaced the old drive and made it a Secondary for IDE, or
> another SCSI ID other than than the boot SCSI ID, then boot up the system
> and recreate a new mirror to the new drive. If you changed the boot.ini
> file, you will want to change it back after the mirror is created.
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging, MCT
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org
>
> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please
> check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>
> "Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right
> things." - Peter F. Drucker
> http://twitter.com/acefekay
>
>
>
Re: Software mirror [message #163912 is a reply to message #163897] Tue, 09 June 2009 19:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:B9D09968-58C1-4B2A-8B79-1A71DCBAD740@microsoft.com...
> Hi, thanks for the reply. I have actually done this, and still no boot
> happening. I get a blinking cursor before any boot options. From
> googling
> it appears that the boot record on the mirrored drive is not correct. I
> guess my question is if I initially need to have two clean disks, but that
> have been setup with a valid mbr?? Note that I am able to boot froma
> floppy.
>
> thanks.

Which part have you done? THe boot.ini part, the SCSI ID part, or the IDE
jumper part?

Do you have a floppy drive in the machine?

Ace
Re: Software mirror [message #163949 is a reply to message #163912] Wed, 10 June 2009 10:46 Go to previous message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:C5A7CDFF-A5BC-4DF6-A102-790BBF77F30D@microsoft.com...
> What I had done was the scsi id part (made it id0) and tried booting from
> it
> without the floppy but had no luck.
>
> I believe I have resolved this. I understand now that software mirror
> will
> not mirror the mbr therefore will not boot mirrored drive. The workaround
> I
> did was to start a windows installation on the mirror drive then after
> that
> was done mirror that drive. Now if I eliminate the primary I am able to
> boot
> off of the mirrored. This should allow me to have a fault tolerant system
> without need for floppy.
>


Good to hear you figured it out!

Ace
Re: Software mirror [message #163951 is a reply to message #163912] Wed, 10 June 2009 10:38 Go to previous message
mc123  is currently offline mc123
Messages: 3
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
What I had done was the scsi id part (made it id0) and tried booting from it
without the floppy but had no luck.

I believe I have resolved this. I understand now that software mirror will
not mirror the mbr therefore will not boot mirrored drive. The workaround I
did was to start a windows installation on the mirror drive then after that
was done mirror that drive. Now if I eliminate the primary I am able to boot
off of the mirrored. This should allow me to have a fault tolerant system
without need for floppy.

Thank you

"Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]" wrote:

> "mc123" <mc123@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:B9D09968-58C1-4B2A-8B79-1A71DCBAD740@microsoft.com...
> > Hi, thanks for the reply. I have actually done this, and still no boot
> > happening. I get a blinking cursor before any boot options. From
> > googling
> > it appears that the boot record on the mirrored drive is not correct. I
> > guess my question is if I initially need to have two clean disks, but that
> > have been setup with a valid mbr?? Note that I am able to boot froma
> > floppy.
> >
> > thanks.
>
> Which part have you done? THe boot.ini part, the SCSI ID part, or the IDE
> jumper part?
>
> Do you have a floppy drive in the machine?
>
> Ace
>
>
>
>
>
Previous Topic:Global Catalog Replication - How often does this happen? Force?
Next Topic:System Pings but appears to be locked up
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Aug 18 05:00:54 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.05166 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software