Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Windows Server General Help » System Pings but appears to be locked up
System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163888] Tue, 09 June 2009 17:21 Go to next message
Shenson  is currently offline Shenson
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
I've got several servers experiencing the same problem. The server will ping
however, will not respond to video, and all services appear to also be non
responsive.

In the Event logs I do see some consistant errors the I "BELIEVE" are related.
=================================================
Event Type: Information
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 38
Date: 06/05/2009
Time: 3:49:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The time provider NtpClient cannot reach or is currently receiving invalid
time data from xxxxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx (ntp.d|xx.xx.xxx.xxx:123->xx.xx.xx.xx:123).

=================================================
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 24
Date: 06/05/2009
Time: 8:23:41 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from domain
controller xxxxxxxxx after 8 attempts to contact it. This domain controller
will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to discover a
new domain controller from which to synchronize.


=====================================================
Event Type: Error
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 29
Date: 06/05/2009
Time: 8:23:41 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No
attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no
source of accurate time.

====================================================
Event Type: Error
Event Source: EventLog
Event Category: None
Event ID: 6008
Date: 06/08/2009
Time: 10:20:08 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The previous system shutdown at 9:16:44 PM on 6/4/2009 was unexpected.

=====================================================

If I look at the events that happened when the system said it actually
shutdown...9:16:44 in this case, I have the following warnings.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 3
Date: 06/04/2009
Time: 9:16:01 PM
User: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Printer Client/WI_WwhRqQYbnUKAGAxG0#/P1 was deleted.

====================================================
Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Print
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4
Date: 06/04/2009
Time: 9:16:01 PM
User: xxxxxxxxxx
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
Printer Client/WI_WwhRqQYbnUKAGAxG0#/P1 is pending deletion.

===================================================

We had 16 server shutdown the other day with almost the exact errors list
above.

I'm at a loss as to how to go forward from here.
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163894 is a reply to message #163888] Tue, 09 June 2009 18:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello Shenson,

Sorry, but i can not really follow your problem, you talk again about a ping
problem?

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Thank you for your quick response. The PDCEmulator is set up and
> functioning correclty. I even get a good response after the system
> reboots. This is received from teh DC that resides in the same Vlan
> as the servers having the issue.
>
> ==================================
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 37
> Date: 06/08/2009
> Time: 10:20:27 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The time provider NtpClient is currently receiving valid time data
> from
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (ntp.d|xx.xx.xx.xx:123->xx.xx.xx.xx:123).
> ====================================================
> Good observation on the printer errors, yes, they are Citrix servers
> and I
> don't believe the warning is part of the problem, I just was pointing
> out
> that the time the server thinks it attempted to shutdown, those are
> the
> errors present. the Time errors are actually some time after the
> system
> thinks it was shutdown. (I hope that makes sense...)
> Chain of events.
> System rebooted at 10:20 - error states the 9:16:44 PM 06/04/2009
> shutdown
> was unexpected.
> 06/05/2009 8:23:41 AM W32Time Event ID 29
> 06/05/2009 8:23:41 AM W32Time Event ID 24
> 06/05/2009 3:49:08 AM W32Time Event ID 38
> 06/04/2009 9:16:01 PM Print Event ID 3
> 06/04/2009 9:16:01 PM Print Event ID 4
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163895 is a reply to message #163888] Tue, 09 June 2009 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shenson  is currently offline Shenson
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
Thank you for your quick response. The PDCEmulator is set up and functioning
correclty. I even get a good response after the system reboots. This is
received from teh DC that resides in the same Vlan as the servers having the
issue.

==================================
Event Type: Information
Event Source: W32Time
Event Category: None
Event ID: 37
Date: 06/08/2009
Time: 10:20:27 AM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Description:
The time provider NtpClient is currently receiving valid time data from
xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (ntp.d|xx.xx.xx.xx:123->xx.xx.xx.xx:123).
====================================================
Good observation on the printer errors, yes, they are Citrix servers and I
don't believe the warning is part of the problem, I just was pointing out
that the time the server thinks it attempted to shutdown, those are the
errors present. the Time errors are actually some time after the system
thinks it was shutdown. (I hope that makes sense...)

Chain of events.
System rebooted at 10:20 - error states the 9:16:44 PM 06/04/2009 shutdown
was unexpected.
06/05/2009 8:23:41 AM W32Time Event ID 29
06/05/2009 8:23:41 AM W32Time Event ID 24
06/05/2009 3:49:08 AM W32Time Event ID 38
06/04/2009 9:16:01 PM Print Event ID 3
06/04/2009 9:16:01 PM Print Event ID 4
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163898 is a reply to message #163888] Tue, 09 June 2009 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello Shenson,

For the time event ids, make sure the PDCEmulator in the domain is configured
to use an external time source. Is this configured?

For the printer event warning, this will also be logged when a machine is
connecting with remote desktop to the server and local resources for printers
are checked. So assuming that your network printers not have that confusing
names, that cna be machines connecting to that server.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> I've got several servers experiencing the same problem. The server
> will ping however, will not respond to video, and all services appear
> to also be non responsive.
>
> In the Event logs I do see some consistant errors the I "BELIEVE" are
> related.
> =================================================
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 38
> Date: 06/05/2009
> Time: 3:49:08 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The time provider NtpClient cannot reach or is currently receiving
> invalid
> time data from xxxxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx
> (ntp.d|xx.xx.xxx.xxx:123->xx.xx.xx.xx:123).
> =================================================
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 24
> Date: 06/05/2009
> Time: 8:23:41 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from
> domain
> controller xxxxxxxxx after 8 attempts to contact it. This domain
> controller
> will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to
> discover a
> new domain controller from which to synchronize.
> =====================================================
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 29
> Date: 06/05/2009
> Time: 8:23:41 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or
> more
> time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible.
> No
> attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has
> no
> source of accurate time.
> ====================================================
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: EventLog
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 6008
> Date: 06/08/2009
> Time: 10:20:08 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The previous system shutdown at 9:16:44 PM on 6/4/2009 was unexpected.
> =====================================================
>
> If I look at the events that happened when the system said it actually
> shutdown...9:16:44 in this case, I have the following warnings.
>
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: Print
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 3
> Date: 06/04/2009
> Time: 9:16:01 PM
> User: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> Printer Client/WI_WwhRqQYbnUKAGAxG0#/P1 was deleted.
> ====================================================
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: Print
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 4
> Date: 06/04/2009
> Time: 9:16:01 PM
> User: xxxxxxxxxx
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> Printer Client/WI_WwhRqQYbnUKAGAxG0#/P1 is pending deletion.
> ===================================================
>
> We had 16 server shutdown the other day with almost the exact errors
> list above.
>
> I'm at a loss as to how to go forward from here.
>
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163910 is a reply to message #163888] Tue, 09 June 2009 20:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kevin Longley  is currently offline Kevin Longley
Messages: 26
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
Are you saying 16 servers shut down dirty?

We had 16 server shutdown the other day with almost the exact errors list
above.
"Shenson" <Shenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6DFC1A43-9048-4999-9F66-158647F95115@microsoft.com...
> I've got several servers experiencing the same problem. The server will
> ping
> however, will not respond to video, and all services appear to also be non
> responsive.
>
> In the Event logs I do see some consistant errors the I "BELIEVE" are
> related.
> =================================================
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 38
> Date: 06/05/2009
> Time: 3:49:08 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The time provider NtpClient cannot reach or is currently receiving invalid
> time data from xxxxx.xxx.xxxx.xxx
> (ntp.d|xx.xx.xxx.xxx:123->xx.xx.xx.xx:123).
>
> =================================================
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 24
> Date: 06/05/2009
> Time: 8:23:41 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> Time Provider NtpClient: No valid response has been received from domain
> controller xxxxxxxxx after 8 attempts to contact it. This domain
> controller
> will be discarded as a time source and NtpClient will attempt to discover
> a
> new domain controller from which to synchronize.
>
>
> =====================================================
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 29
> Date: 06/05/2009
> Time: 8:23:41 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The time provider NtpClient is configured to acquire time from one or more
> time sources, however none of the sources are currently accessible. No
> attempt to contact a source will be made for 15 minutes. NtpClient has no
> source of accurate time.
>
> ====================================================
> Event Type: Error
> Event Source: EventLog
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 6008
> Date: 06/08/2009
> Time: 10:20:08 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The previous system shutdown at 9:16:44 PM on 6/4/2009 was unexpected.
>
> =====================================================
>
> If I look at the events that happened when the system said it actually
> shutdown...9:16:44 in this case, I have the following warnings.
>
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: Print
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 3
> Date: 06/04/2009
> Time: 9:16:01 PM
> User: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> Printer Client/WI_WwhRqQYbnUKAGAxG0#/P1 was deleted.
>
> ====================================================
> Event Type: Warning
> Event Source: Print
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 4
> Date: 06/04/2009
> Time: 9:16:01 PM
> User: xxxxxxxxxx
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> Printer Client/WI_WwhRqQYbnUKAGAxG0#/P1 is pending deletion.
>
> ===================================================
>
> We had 16 server shutdown the other day with almost the exact errors list
> above.
>
> I'm at a loss as to how to go forward from here.
>
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163913 is a reply to message #163895] Tue, 09 June 2009 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Shenson" <Shenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:841EB016-89E7-4F0E-97DC-3E88A9DDFAAF@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your quick response. The PDCEmulator is set up and
> functioning
> correclty. I even get a good response after the system reboots. This is
> received from teh DC that resides in the same Vlan as the servers having
> the
> issue.
>
> ==================================
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 37
> Date: 06/08/2009
> Time: 10:20:27 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The time provider NtpClient is currently receiving valid time data from
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (ntp.d|xx.xx.xx.xx:123->xx.xx.xx.xx:123).
> ====================================================

That's actually an informational message saying it received valid time data
from whatever time source you set it to. It's not an error.

If you reboot all the servers at once, they will come up with time errors
because when they come up, they will be looking for the PDC Emulator for
it's time source, but it's still rebooting with the rest of them, and won't
get it right away. Eventually they do, in which they give you the
informational message eventID above that you received once they connect to
their time source.

Ace
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163914 is a reply to message #163895] Tue, 09 June 2009 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Shenson" <Shenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:841EB016-89E7-4F0E-97DC-3E88A9DDFAAF@microsoft.com...
> Thank you for your quick response. The PDCEmulator is set up and
> functioning
> correclty. I even get a good response after the system reboots. This is
> received from teh DC that resides in the same Vlan as the servers having
> the
> issue.
>
> ==================================
> Event Type: Information
> Event Source: W32Time
> Event Category: None
> Event ID: 37
> Date: 06/08/2009
> Time: 10:20:27 AM
> User: N/A
> Computer: xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Description:
> The time provider NtpClient is currently receiving valid time data from
> xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (ntp.d|xx.xx.xx.xx:123->xx.xx.xx.xx:123).
> ====================================================
> Good observation on the printer errors, yes, they are Citrix servers and I
> don't believe the warning is part of the problem, I just was pointing out
> that the time the server thinks it attempted to shutdown, those are the
> errors present. the Time errors are actually some time after the system
> thinks it was shutdown. (I hope that makes sense...)
>

Also, I'm not quite following what the problem is you're posting about. We
are discussing time messages, yet the post says a ping problem.

Ace
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163936 is a reply to message #163910] Wed, 10 June 2009 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shenson  is currently offline Shenson
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
First let me apoligize for not being clear on the problem.

In my original post I stated. "I've got several servers experiencing the
same problem. The server will ping however, will not respond to video, and
all services appear to also be non responsive. "

The real problem is the servers are unreachable. The only response is ping,
you can not log in, you can not connect to any services. These are blades
and the Video and keyboards are also non responsive. All the events I've
listed in the thread are after I do a POWER Cycle of the server.
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163941 is a reply to message #163936] Wed, 10 June 2009 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Shenson" <Shenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:58EB7928-DE68-4718-B8E4-44A29435429A@microsoft.com...
> First let me apoligize for not being clear on the problem.
>
> In my original post I stated. "I've got several servers experiencing the
> same problem. The server will ping however, will not respond to video, and
> all services appear to also be non responsive. "
>
> The real problem is the servers are unreachable. The only response is
> ping,
> you can not log in, you can not connect to any services. These are blades
> and the Video and keyboards are also non responsive. All the events I've
> listed in the thread are after I do a POWER Cycle of the server.


I see. Other than what I previously posted about booting them all up at
once, there will be a delay. It is always suggested to reboot DCs one by
one, not toogether, but re-reading your original post, it appears there was
a power problem of some sort that shut them down all together? Have you
tried rebooting them one by one? What caused them to all go down at once?

Ace
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163944 is a reply to message #163936] Wed, 10 June 2009 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello Shenson,

This sounds for me more like problem with the blade center, when hardware
like mouse/keyboard are not recognized correct also.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> First let me apoligize for not being clear on the problem.
>
> In my original post I stated. "I've got several servers experiencing
> the same problem. The server will ping however, will not respond to
> video, and all services appear to also be non responsive. "
>
> The real problem is the servers are unreachable. The only response is
> ping, you can not log in, you can not connect to any services. These
> are blades and the Video and keyboards are also non responsive. All
> the events I've listed in the thread are after I do a POWER Cycle of
> the server.
>
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163945 is a reply to message #163941] Wed, 10 June 2009 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shenson  is currently offline Shenson
Messages: 4
Registered: June 2009
Junior Member
Mr./Mrs. Weber,
It is NOT a problem with the Mouse/keyboard or Video, the Server isn't
responding to the mouse/keyboard/Video. The server appears to be down,
locked up, in some type of defuncted state.

Mr./Mrs. Fekay,
I have over 130 Blades on 10 different Blade Chassis. The blades that
are having this issue are Random acroos the blade chassis. None of these
server going down are DC's, they are application servers. We do boot them
up, one at a time, and I'm not seeing any hardware problems from the
BladeCenter Management. Thus looking at the OS instead of the actual
hardware. After the problem started, we first looked at hardware, have
upgraded all the firmware, and went that direction first; however, the
problems are still happening, and there appear to be no hardware problems.
They actually do not all go down at once, they go down at random times,
luckely the last few days, they have been going down during the evening, Not
sure if this is a blessing or not, it kind of rules out any load on the
servers as a possible problem. We have had in the past the same situation
where they would go down during the middle of the day with 30 users logged
into them. The more I look into this, the more I'm led to believe it has
something to do wht the Printer errors more than the Time errors. I believe
the Time errors are related to the state of the system when it attempts to
update its time while already in some type of defuncted state. I'm going to
focus for now on the Print Warning with Event ID's 3 and 4 and see if I can
get anywhere with those.
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163952 is a reply to message #163945] Wed, 10 June 2009 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Shenson" <Shenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1BF5A77D-2889-4748-B2B6-F5AEABA29341@microsoft.com...
> Mr./Mrs. Weber,
> It is NOT a problem with the Mouse/keyboard or Video, the Server isn't
> responding to the mouse/keyboard/Video. The server appears to be down,
> locked up, in some type of defuncted state.
>
> Mr./Mrs. Fekay,
> I have over 130 Blades on 10 different Blade Chassis. The blades that
> are having this issue are Random acroos the blade chassis. None of these
> server going down are DC's, they are application servers. We do boot them
> up, one at a time, and I'm not seeing any hardware problems from the
> BladeCenter Management. Thus looking at the OS instead of the actual
> hardware. After the problem started, we first looked at hardware, have
> upgraded all the firmware, and went that direction first; however, the
> problems are still happening, and there appear to be no hardware problems.
> They actually do not all go down at once, they go down at random times,
> luckely the last few days, they have been going down during the evening,
> Not
> sure if this is a blessing or not, it kind of rules out any load on the
> servers as a possible problem. We have had in the past the same situation
> where they would go down during the middle of the day with 30 users logged
> into them. The more I look into this, the more I'm led to believe it has
> something to do wht the Printer errors more than the Time errors. I
> believe
> the Time errors are related to the state of the system when it attempts to
> update its time while already in some type of defuncted state. I'm going
> to
> focus for now on the Print Warning with Event ID's 3 and 4 and see if I
> can
> get anywhere with those.
>
>

Hello again, Mr./Mrs. Shenson,

By the way, it is Mr. Ace Fekay, but the only one that calls me "Mr" is my
credit card representatives!

If it is random, that can be difficult to nail down. The time messages can
be indicative of the time service trying to sync before the NIC services are
up during a reboot. You can ignore them because they eventually sync up.

I thought they were DCs. I apologize for the assumption. I won't be assuming
anymore. I don't know what type of configurations these machines have, (RAM,
etc), if they are Intel/AMD, 32 bit, 64 bit, whether the appropriate
switches exist (/3GB, /userva=3030, etc), PagePool settings, etc etc, nor
operating system type or applications installed (SQL, Exchange, Oracle, some
ERP, etc). Applications have their own requirements and nuances and suggest
to check out their vendor's docs. I will leave that to you to apply to the
following generic info I'm providing moving forward.

You mentioned that is sometimes happens when many users are logged on. That
can be indicative of insufficient resources, but not with RAM, but possibly
with memory settings on each machine. That is something to be determined by
performance monitoring logging and seeing if there is a correlation when it
occurs. It can also be affected by how much RAM is installed, memory
settings, etc.

Also, if in the evening, what is running at that time when it occurs?
Backups?

See if the following helps.

Ask the Performance Team : An Overview of Troubleshooting Memory ...In our
last post, we looked at some common memory issues and how to troubleshoot
them. ... The Windows Server Performance Team has published part 2 of ...
http://blogs.technet.com/askperf/archive/2008/01/29/an-overv iew-of-troubleshooting-memory-issues-part-two.aspx

Memory Support and Windows Operating SystemsFeb 9, 2005 ... Describes memory
support under Microsoft Windows operating systems.
www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/server/PAE/PAEmem.msp x



Good luck!

Ace
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163953 is a reply to message #163945] Wed, 10 June 2009 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb(nospam)  is currently offline meiweb(nospam)  Germany
Messages: 1307
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hello Shenson,

I am not that old, but if moy mother is angry she also uses Mr. Weber.

I thought that all blades are in one center so that's the reason to poin
to it.

Finding errors when nothing is in the event viewer except the time entries
which you can neglect, when it comes up after a time again, is not that easy.
Can be hardware also software related when program crashes.

Also the deletion of printers on the server shouldn't result in a server
shutdown.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Mr./Mrs. Weber,
> It is NOT a problem with the Mouse/keyboard or Video, the Server
> isn't
> responding to the mouse/keyboard/Video. The server appears to be
> down,
> locked up, in some type of defuncted state.
>
> Mr./Mrs. Fekay,
> I have over 130 Blades on 10 different Blade Chassis. The blades
> that
> are having this issue are Random acroos the blade chassis. None of
> these
> server going down are DC's, they are application servers. We do boot
> them up, one at a time, and I'm not seeing any hardware problems from
> the BladeCenter Management. Thus looking at the OS instead of the
> actual hardware. After the problem started, we first looked at
> hardware, have upgraded all the firmware, and went that direction
> first; however, the problems are still happening, and there appear to
> be no hardware problems. They actually do not all go down at once,
> they go down at random times, luckely the last few days, they have
> been going down during the evening, Not sure if this is a blessing or
> not, it kind of rules out any load on the servers as a possible
> problem. We have had in the past the same situation where they would
> go down during the middle of the day with 30 users logged into them.
> The more I look into this, the more I'm led to believe it has
> something to do wht the Printer errors more than the Time errors. I
> believe the Time errors are related to the state of the system when it
> attempts to update its time while already in some type of defuncted
> state. I'm going to focus for now on the Print Warning with Event
> ID's 3 and 4 and see if I can get anywhere with those.
>
Re: System Pings but appears to be locked up [message #163955 is a reply to message #163936] Wed, 10 June 2009 11:35 Go to previous message
anthony  is currently offline anthony  United Kingdom
Messages: 288
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Shenson,
This is an interesting one. Looking at the sequence:
Someone logged off the server at 9:16 pm 4th June (redirected printers being
removed)
The server shut down and restarted, but it did not restart cleanly.
The OS only logs the unexpected shutdown 4 days later, 8th June at 10:20 am

I am guessing that the server was unresponsive between those times, and was
power cycled on 8th June a.m.
So there are two possibly related problems, the unexpected shutdown and the
failure to restart cleanly.

1) Is it an HP Blade? Do you have a record of a bugcheck trap in the Insight
Manager log?
2) Is there a memory dump?

Anthony,
http://www.airdesk.com



"Shenson" <Shenson@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:58EB7928-DE68-4718-B8E4-44A29435429A@microsoft.com...
> First let me apoligize for not being clear on the problem.
>
> In my original post I stated. "I've got several servers experiencing the
> same problem. The server will ping however, will not respond to video, and
> all services appear to also be non responsive. "
>
> The real problem is the servers are unreachable. The only response is
> ping,
> you can not log in, you can not connect to any services. These are blades
> and the Video and keyboards are also non responsive. All the events I've
> listed in the thread are after I do a POWER Cycle of the server.
Previous Topic:Software mirror
Next Topic:Event ID 205 - Unable to add licenses to W2K3 server
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sat Aug 19 05:14:59 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04497 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software