Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Windows Server General Help » Windows 2008 server manager errors, unable to add roles/features
Windows 2008 server manager errors, unable to add roles/features [message #164011] Thu, 11 June 2009 19:19 Go to next message
Gilbert  is currently offline Gilbert
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I have a Windows 2008 Server and I attempted to install SP2. There was a
power outage in the middle of the install and I think it corrupted a bunch of
stuff.

When I go to Server Manager, no matter what I click on (Roles or Features),
I get:

"Unexpected error refreshing Server manager: no signature was present in the
subject. (exception from HRESULT: 0x800B0100)


In the Event viewer, I get:

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
error 0x80070643: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems
(KB948465).

Event ID 20, Source: WindowsUpdateclient


Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package KB961260
(Security Update) into Resolved(Resolved) state

Event ID 4375 Source: Servicing

-----------------------------------------

When I tried to install SP2, here's what I get:

A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please download
and run the "check for system update readiness tool.

I installed that tool but I don't know where to go from here.
Re: Windows 2008 server manager errors, unable to add roles/features [message #164012 is a reply to message #164011] Thu, 11 June 2009 19:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Gilbert" <Gilbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:47D71785-F537-4348-BF60-D257C4F68FFE@microsoft.com...
>I have a Windows 2008 Server and I attempted to install SP2. There was a
> power outage in the middle of the install and I think it corrupted a bunch
> of
> stuff.
>
> When I go to Server Manager, no matter what I click on (Roles or
> Features),
> I get:
>
> "Unexpected error refreshing Server manager: no signature was present in
> the
> subject. (exception from HRESULT: 0x800B0100)
>
>
> In the Event viewer, I get:
>
> Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
> error 0x80070643: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems
> (KB948465).
>
> Event ID 20, Source: WindowsUpdateclient
>
>
> Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package
> KB961260
> (Security Update) into Resolved(Resolved) state
>
> Event ID 4375 Source: Servicing
>
> -----------------------------------------
>
> When I tried to install SP2, here's what I get:
>
> A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please
> download
> and run the "check for system update readiness tool.
>
> I installed that tool but I don't know where to go from here.


Did you run it so it checks for readiness?

FYI, I had a customer machine, no power outage or anything, that just
wouldn't take SP2 on Vista. It was getting a similar error. I ran the tool,
etc. Something is corrupted on it preventing the installation. Instead of
spending more time on it, I just reinstalled it as an upgrade to clean up
the OS.

Now is this is a server, and the tool can't clean it up, then I would look
into that as an option.

At least for the EventID 4375 error, take a look at this. It may even
resolve the SP2 issue.
The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive
an error message that includes the following code when you try to use
Windows Update: "0x80073712"
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=931712

For eventID 20, take a look:
http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=20&eventno=5343&a mp;source=Windows%20Update%20Agent&phase=1


--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging, MCT
Microsoft Certified Trainer
aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org

For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please
check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.

"Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right
things." - Peter F. Drucker
http://twitter.com/acefekay
Re: Windows 2008 server manager errors, unable to add roles/featur [message #273231 is a reply to message #164012] Wed, 29 July 2009 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gilbert  is currently offline Gilbert
Messages: 13
Registered: July 2009
Junior Member
I worked with Microsoft on this and they looked thru some logs, then sent me
the files I was missing. Windows update needed some files to finish
installing but it couldn't find them any longer.

"Ace Fekay [Microsoft Certified Trainer]" wrote:

> "Gilbert" <Gilbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> news:47D71785-F537-4348-BF60-D257C4F68FFE@microsoft.com...
> >I have a Windows 2008 Server and I attempted to install SP2. There was a
> > power outage in the middle of the install and I think it corrupted a bunch
> > of
> > stuff.
> >
> > When I go to Server Manager, no matter what I click on (Roles or
> > Features),
> > I get:
> >
> > "Unexpected error refreshing Server manager: no signature was present in
> > the
> > subject. (exception from HRESULT: 0x800B0100)
> >
> >
> > In the Event viewer, I get:
> >
> > Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
> > error 0x80070643: Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 for x64-based Systems
> > (KB948465).
> >
> > Event ID 20, Source: WindowsUpdateclient
> >
> >
> > Windows Servicing failed to complete the process of setting package
> > KB961260
> > (Security Update) into Resolved(Resolved) state
> >
> > Event ID 4375 Source: Servicing
> >
> > -----------------------------------------
> >
> > When I tried to install SP2, here's what I get:
> >
> > A system error prevented the service pack from installing. Please
> > download
> > and run the "check for system update readiness tool.
> >
> > I installed that tool but I don't know where to go from here.
>
>
> Did you run it so it checks for readiness?
>
> FYI, I had a customer machine, no power outage or anything, that just
> wouldn't take SP2 on Vista. It was getting a similar error. I ran the tool,
> etc. Something is corrupted on it preventing the installation. Instead of
> spending more time on it, I just reinstalled it as an upgrade to clean up
> the OS.
>
> Now is this is a server, and the tool can't clean it up, then I would look
> into that as an option.
>
> At least for the EventID 4375 error, take a look at this. It may even
> resolve the SP2 issue.
> The "Windows Features" dialog box is empty in Windows Vista, or you receive
> an error message that includes the following code when you try to use
> Windows Update: "0x80073712"
> http://support.microsoft.com/?id=931712
>
> For eventID 20, take a look:
> http://eventid.net/display.asp?eventid=20&eventno=5343&a mp;source=Windows%20Update%20Agent&phase=1
>
>
> --
> Ace
>
> This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
> confers no rights.
>
> Ace Fekay, MCSE 2003 & 2000, MCSA 2003 & 2000, MCSA Messaging, MCT
> Microsoft Certified Trainer
> aceman@mvps.RemoveThisPart.org
>
> For urgent issues, you may want to contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please
> check http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
>
> "Efficiency is doing things right; effectiveness is doing the right
> things." - Peter F. Drucker
> http://twitter.com/acefekay
>
>
>
>
Re: Windows 2008 server manager errors, unable to add roles/featur [message #273356 is a reply to message #273231] Wed, 29 July 2009 20:49 Go to previous message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Gilbert" <Gilbert@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:434DE6E6-8B8B-4A79-9083-AE6A806B7F3D@microsoft.com...
>I worked with Microsoft on this and they looked thru some logs, then sent
>me
> the files I was missing. Windows update needed some files to finish
> installing but it couldn't find them any longer.
>


Good to hear Microsoft helped you out, and you're on your way. Thank you for
the feedback as well, letting me know things are ok.

Ace
Previous Topic:Extremely long WinXP client logon time
Next Topic:permissions
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Sun Aug 20 19:00:07 EDT 2017

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.08190 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software