Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » Time sync issues
Time sync issues [message #298693] Mon, 26 October 2009 11:16 Go to next message
ck[1]  is currently offline ck[1]
Messages: 46
Registered: July 2009
Member
Recently we had to redo the NTP reg settings in our Forest Root DC's. Now,
all of our DC's in the forest root and the child domains have the right time,
but the clients do not. Any ideas? We are running a w2k3 domain and all DC's
are w2k3.
RE: Time sync issues [message #298825 is a reply to message #298693] Mon, 26 October 2009 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ck[1]  is currently offline ck[1]
Messages: 46
Registered: July 2009
Member
The issue appears to be intermittent with clients. There are only a few who
have this issue. Reboots and restarting the time service and net time /set /y
isn't working either for those out of sync
Re: Time sync issues [message #298835 is a reply to message #298825] Mon, 26 October 2009 13:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pbbergs  is currently offline pbbergs  United States
Messages: 1024
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Want to reset the time service back to the domain Heirarchy

From a command prompt:
"net time /setsntp: " (Note the blank space prior to the end ")
Tells the client to delete the current registry settings for time

Follow this by:
net stop w32time && net start w32time
Client should now be part of the time domain heirarchy


PDCe should be getting its time externally

Fsmo list
netdom query fsmo

Setup PDCe (Follow this exactly as described)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042

Troubleshooting time on a PDCe
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727060.aspx

Set debug logging
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816043/en-us

--
Paul Bergson
MVP - Directory Services
MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009

http://www.pbbergs.com

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:FB5E7854-9235-4404-ACD9-A93004588A6B@microsoft.com...
> The issue appears to be intermittent with clients. There are only a few
> who
> have this issue. Reboots and restarting the time service and net time /set
> /y
> isn't working either for those out of sync
Re: Time sync issues [message #298847 is a reply to message #298835] Mon, 26 October 2009 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"Paul Bergson [MVP-DS]" <pbbergs@no_spammsn.com> wrote in message
news:%23ApPkGnVKHA.1268@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Want to reset the time service back to the domain Heirarchy
>
> From a command prompt:
> "net time /setsntp: " (Note the blank space prior to the end ")
> Tells the client to delete the current registry settings for time
>
> Follow this by:
> net stop w32time && net start w32time
> Client should now be part of the time domain heirarchy
>
>
> PDCe should be getting its time externally
>
> Fsmo list
> netdom query fsmo
>
> Setup PDCe (Follow this exactly as described)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816042
>
> Troubleshooting time on a PDCe
> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb727060.aspx
>
> Set debug logging
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/816043/en-us
>
> --
> Paul Bergson
> MVP - Directory Services
> MCTS, MCT, MCSE, MCSA, Security+, BS CSci
> 2008, 2003, 2000 (Early Achiever), NT4
> Microsoft's Thrive IT Pro of the Month - June 2009
>
> http://www.pbbergs.com
>
> Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup This
> posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
>

I agree, the clients should all be getting their time sync from the domain
hierarchy. Could be other issues and factors at play, such as DNS misconfigs
(ipconfig /alls would help), single label domain name, multihomed DCs, event
log errors we aren't aware of on the DCs and clients, etc.

Here is a blog I had put together on the time service, how it works, how to
configure it, etc. I hope it helps CK.

Configuring the Windows Time Service for Windows Server
http://msmvps.com/blogs/acefekay/archive/2009/09/18/configur ing-the-windows-time-service-for-windows-server.aspx

--
Ace

This posting is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties or guarantees and
confers no rights.

Please reply back to the newsgroup or forum for collaboration benefit among
responding engineers, and to help others benefit from your resolution.

Ace Fekay, MCT, MCITP EA, MCTS Windows 2008 & Exchange 2007, MCSE & MCSA
2003/2000, MCSA Messaging 2003
Microsoft Certified Trainer

For urgent issues, please contact Microsoft PSS directly. Please check
http://support.microsoft.com for regional support phone numbers.
Re: Time sync issues [message #298963 is a reply to message #298693] Mon, 26 October 2009 15:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jorge Silva  is currently offline Jorge Silva  Portugal
Messages: 398
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Hi
Generally you don't need to do anything, the DCs will update the correct
time for the Workstations, but if you want you may use GPO to configure the
apropriate settings, this generally has good results.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490605.aspx


--
I hope that the information above helps you.
Have a Nice day.
Jorge Silva
MVP Directory Services

Please no e-mails, any questions should be posted in the NewsGroup
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.



"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:1BEF91AD-ED09-48E1-B192-C041CBCABF08@microsoft.com...
> Recently we had to redo the NTP reg settings in our Forest Root DC's. Now,
> all of our DC's in the forest root and the child domains have the right
> time,
> but the clients do not. Any ideas? We are running a w2k3 domain and all
> DC's
> are w2k3.
Re: Time sync issues [message #299101 is a reply to message #298847] Mon, 26 October 2009 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ck[1]  is currently offline ck[1]
Messages: 46
Registered: July 2009
Member
That all seems like pretty good advice, but still not working from my client.
My "logon server" is the PDCE for the child domain. The reg key for that PDCE
points to the forest root domain in the w32time -> Paramaters keys.
Everything seems good except i'm not getting updated appropriately. DC's are
all looking internally for DNS. I might look at the Debugging link that was
sent unless you guys have any other ideas.
Re: Time sync issues [message #299349 is a reply to message #299101] Mon, 26 October 2009 22:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:12B9CE2E-7183-4495-9EC4-4042F20D96A4@microsoft.com...
> That all seems like pretty good advice, but still not working from my
> client.
> My "logon server" is the PDCE for the child domain. The reg key for that
> PDCE
> points to the forest root domain in the w32time -> Paramaters keys.
> Everything seems good except i'm not getting updated appropriately. DC's
> are
> all looking internally for DNS. I might look at the Debugging link that
> was
> sent unless you guys have any other ideas.


I don't agree with setting up the time service using the reg. For the most
part, it will just work out of the box. If you transfer the PDC Emulator
role to another DC, it will have to be configured as the time source for the
domain. The procedure is in my blog.

Maybe if you can back out whatever you changed in the reg to default, and
then just use the time commands to set the service correctly.

Otherwise, if you feel that was not helpful, try the troubleshooting link.
Let us know what you find.

Ace
Re: Time sync issues [message #299435 is a reply to message #298693] Tue, 27 October 2009 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb  is currently offline meiweb  Germany
Messages: 2225
Registered: September 2009
Senior Member
Hello CK,

On the clients make sure that no firewall is blocking port 123UDP. Also resync
them with, can also be run as a startup script:

w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update

After that run:
net stop w32time
net start w32time

To configure the PDCEmulator of the domains i would not use the registry,
it is more easy to use w32tm command line:

w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:PEERS /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update

With "PEERS" you can set the time source, either DNS name (time.windows.com)
or an ip address from a reliable time source.

Also you can use the PDCEmulator from the root domain for the child domains
with this command.


Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Recently we had to redo the NTP reg settings in our Forest Root DC's.
> Now, all of our DC's in the forest root and the child domains have the
> right time, but the clients do not. Any ideas? We are running a w2k3
> domain and all DC's are w2k3.
>
Re: Time sync issues [message #299830 is a reply to message #299349] Tue, 27 October 2009 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ck[1]  is currently offline ck[1]
Messages: 46
Registered: July 2009
Member
But don't you have to set the external NTP server manually in the registry on
the PDC Emulator in the forest root?
Re: Time sync issues [message #299917 is a reply to message #299435] Tue, 27 October 2009 11:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ck[1]  is currently offline ck[1]
Messages: 46
Registered: July 2009
Member
I'm beginning to think that this is a screwy client error as my Windows XP
clock is an hour behind. It moved all of my Calendar appointments
appointments up an hour to so that they show at the corrent time, even though
it shows an hour early according to the time on the Calendar. For example, my
client says that it's 8am (even though it is really 9am) and I have a meeting
at 9am. It moved the calendar items to 8am. All of the AD settings appear
correct. There are no AD w32 time errors.

If I run the w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update that does nothing
If I time: Net Time I do get something strange. It shows my time server is
a DC at a different site on the east coast and i'm on the west coast.

N:\>net time
Current time at \\DC1 is 10/27/2009 8:57 AM (<- This is the time that is
shown on my computer which is an hour behind)

Local time (GMT-04:00) at \\DC1 is 10/27/2009 12:57 PM (<-this is the time
that shows on the DC when I RDP to it which is the correct time. The DC is
looking at the forest root pdce for it's time)

The command completed successfully.

Is there a reg setting or something that I need to adjust to set my time
zone? looking at the time zone set on the clock is correct.
Re: Time sync issues [message #299979 is a reply to message #299917] Tue, 27 October 2009 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ck[1]  is currently offline ck[1]
Messages: 46
Registered: July 2009
Member
It was indeed a client issue. Ran the following patch, and made sure that the
time zone was not TJ/Mexico and instead US/Pac even though both are -8

Update for Windows XP (KB970653)
Date last published: 8/25/2009
Download size: 499 KB
Install this update to resolve issues caused by revised daylight saving time
and time zone laws in several countries. This update enables your computer to
automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2009. After
you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
Re: Time sync issues [message #300238 is a reply to message #299979] Tue, 27 October 2009 16:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:503C943C-78C1-43B3-872A-88F5A716D903@microsoft.com...
> It was indeed a client issue. Ran the following patch, and made sure that
> the
> time zone was not TJ/Mexico and instead US/Pac even though both are -8
>
> Update for Windows XP (KB970653)
> Date last published: 8/25/2009
> Download size: 499 KB
> Install this update to resolve issues caused by revised daylight saving
> time
> and time zone laws in several countries. This update enables your computer
> to
> automatically adjust the computer clock on the correct date in 2009. After
> you install this item, you may have to restart your computer.
>


Good to hear you figured it out. :-)

Ace
Re: Time sync issues [message #300246 is a reply to message #299830] Tue, 27 October 2009 16:19 Go to previous message
aceman  is currently offline aceman  United States
Messages: 5816
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"CK" <CK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:30AECC9B-DB7C-4CFA-8BB0-D225ABC7331A@microsoft.com...
> But don't you have to set the external NTP server manually in the registry
> on
> the PDC Emulator in the forest root?


No, I would not use the registry. There is no reason to.

Meinolf replied with the commands to your other post. I'm also posting the
following, for your convenience (from my blog that I posted earlier).

======
Transferring the PDC Emulator Role
If you have moved the Windows 2003 PDC Emulator role to another DC, or if
you seized the role to another DC because the original PDC Emulator is no
longer available, reset the time source and hierarchy:

On the new PDCEmulator (where 'peers' is an Internet time source such as
192.5.41.41):
w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:peers /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes
/update

On the old PDCEmulator:
w32tm /config /syncfromflags:domhier /update

After that run the following on both DCs:
net stop w32time
net start w32time

The "peers" can be a text file, or direct input, allowing you to set the
time source, either DNS name such as (time.windows.com, or an ip address for
a reliable time source. I normally use 192.5.41.41.

On your edge firewall, make sure UDP port 123 traffic is allowed inbound
from the time source.

If you need a reliable external time source, read the following link for a
complete list of them around the internet:

The pool.ntp.org project is a big virtual cluster of timeservers striving to
provide reliable and easy to use NTP service for millions of clients without
putting strain on the big popular timeservers.
http://www.pool.ntp.org
======


Ace
Previous Topic:Home Drive mapping
Next Topic:logon server
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jan 17 05:47:44 MST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02193 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software