Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » win2k server AD naming issue
win2k server AD naming issue [message #353983] Mon, 28 December 2009 11:18 Go to next message
grahamstein  is currently offline grahamstein  United States
Messages: 3
Registered: December 2009
Junior Member
Hey guys, having a problem i haven't been able to think my way out of
yet.

I have 2 win2k domain controllers. They both are attached to the same
domain name private.xxxxx.xxxxx but the pre-2000 domain names are
different and they dont seem to be replicating the directory at all.

As of right now server A is handling all of the logon requests, and
server B is just a file server. However both servers are using more
than 50% of their HD space so i cant just wipe and reinstall either one.
I want to get server B to reunite with server A but short of a clean
install i cant figure out a way to do that.

Oh and p.s. both are DCs.

Thanks for any help.


--
grahamstein
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
grahamstein's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/168382.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1286976.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
Re: win2k server AD naming issue [message #354207 is a reply to message #353983] Mon, 28 December 2009 17:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb  is currently offline meiweb  Germany
Messages: 2225
Registered: September 2009
Senior Member
Hello grahamstein,

I cannot really follow you. If you have one domain you can have only one
NetBios domain name for it, not 2. Can you please clarify the configuration
with posting the DNS domain name, the NetBios name and the name show in AD
UC?

Both DCs are in the same domain, private.xxx.xxx if i understand you correct
and listed in AD UC in the domain controllers OU?

What exactly do you mean with "I want to get server B to reunite with server
A"? If both DCs are in the same domain i cannot really understand this question.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Hey guys, having a problem i haven't been able to think my way out of
> yet.
>
> I have 2 win2k domain controllers. They both are attached to the same
> domain name private.xxxxx.xxxxx but the pre-2000 domain names are
> different and they dont seem to be replicating the directory at all.
>
> As of right now server A is handling all of the logon requests, and
> server B is just a file server. However both servers are using more
> than 50% of their HD space so i cant just wipe and reinstall either
> one. I want to get server B to reunite with server A but short of a
> clean install i cant figure out a way to do that.
>
> Oh and p.s. both are DCs.
>
> Thanks for any help.
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
Re: win2k server AD naming issue [message #354282 is a reply to message #354207] Mon, 28 December 2009 17:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grahamstein  is currently offline grahamstein  United States
Messages: 3
Registered: December 2009
Junior Member
From what i am told/nearest i can figure is that at one point server A
had the OS crap out. A fresh install was done, and rather than join the
existing forest when installing AD, it was installed as a brand new
forest with the same name as the already existing domain.

So we seem to have 2 domains of the same name (private.xxxx.xxxx)
existing on the network with different netbios names and i am trying to
find some way to at least get AD replication working between the 2
without having to reinstall the OS on either.


--
grahamstein
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
grahamstein's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/168382.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1286976.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
Re: win2k server AD naming issue [message #354462 is a reply to message #354282] Mon, 28 December 2009 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
florian  is currently offline florian  Switzerland
Messages: 484
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
Howdie!

grahamstein wrote:
> From what i am told/nearest i can figure is that at one point server A
> had the OS crap out. A fresh install was done, and rather than join the
> existing forest when installing AD, it was installed as a brand new
> forest with the same name as the already existing domain.
>
> So we seem to have 2 domains of the same name (private.xxxx.xxxx)
> existing on the network with different netbios names and i am trying to
> find some way to at least get AD replication working between the 2
> without having to reinstall the OS on either.

So you basically have two different domains in two different forests,
correct? If so, you're pretty much screwed. I'd suggest a migration but
since both domains are named the same, you can't build a forest trust
between them.

I'd basically export all needed objects from one domain (LDIFDE) and
import them on the other domain. Then flatten the exported DC and join
it to the existing domain to have two DCs in that domain.

Cheers,
Florian
Re: win2k server AD naming issue [message #354495 is a reply to message #354282] Tue, 29 December 2009 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb  is currently offline meiweb  Germany
Messages: 2225
Registered: September 2009
Senior Member
Hello grahamstein,

Ok, so you have two total different forest/domains with the same name private.xxx.xxx
and both have there own NetBios name. This domains cannot be connected as
Florian states and you have to decide which one you like to use. If there
is the need for keeping objects use LDIFDE as Florian stated.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555636

If there is no need to keep AD from one then copy/backup the data you need
and format the machine during reinstall and make it member of the exisiting
domain where you can promote it to DC again.

Also i suggest to run the support tools dcdiag /v and netdiag /v on the DCs
to check if errors exist.

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> From what i am told/nearest i can figure is that at one point server A
> had the OS crap out. A fresh install was done, and rather than join
> the existing forest when installing AD, it was installed as a brand
> new forest with the same name as the already existing domain.
>
> So we seem to have 2 domains of the same name (private.xxxx.xxxx)
> existing on the network with different netbios names and i am trying
> to find some way to at least get AD replication working between the 2
> without having to reinstall the OS on either.
>
> http://forums.techarena.in
>
Re: win2k server AD naming issue [message #354634 is a reply to message #354462] Tue, 29 December 2009 07:10 Go to previous message
grahamstein  is currently offline grahamstein  United States
Messages: 3
Registered: December 2009
Junior Member
Yep that's the answer i was hoping i wouldn't hear.

I figured i was hosed but held out a little hope that there might be a
solution i wasn't aware of.

Thanks again guys.


--
grahamstein
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------
grahamstein's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/168382.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/active-directory/1286976.htm

http://forums.techarena.in
Previous Topic:Store information in Custom Attribute
Next Topic:2008 core dc
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Fri Jan 19 00:45:20 MST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.04715 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software