Forum Search:
Forum.Brain-Cluster.com: Brain Cluster Technical Forum
Ultimate forum for Technical Discussions

Home » Microsoft » Windows Server » Active Directory » OU named users
OU named users [message #417444] Mon, 22 March 2010 16:23 Go to next message
MSNews  is currently offline MSNews  United States
Messages: 135
Registered: September 2009
Senior Member
Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in another
OU) reserved name ?

thanks

carl
Re: OU named users [message #417607 is a reply to message #417444] Mon, 22 March 2010 20:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rlmueller-nospam  is currently offline rlmueller-nospam  United States
Messages: 292
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
"MRNews" <nf@no.com> wrote in message
news:%23VRBE5gyKHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
> Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in
> another OU) reserved name ?
>
> thanks
>
> carl

No problem. In fact, I have a domain I support with an ou=Users. I didn't
set that up, but it's been fine for years. I have also seen ou=Computers.

--
Richard Mueller
MVP Directory Services
Hilltop Lab - http://www.rlmueller.net
--
Re: OU named users [message #417693 is a reply to message #417444] Tue, 23 March 2010 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meiweb  is currently offline meiweb  Germany
Messages: 2225
Registered: September 2009
Senior Member
Hello MRNews,

In Windows server 2003 "users" is reserved, see "Table of reserved words":
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909264

Best regards

Meinolf Weber
Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.
** Please do NOT email, only reply to Newsgroups
** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm


> Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in
> another OU) reserved name ?
>
> thanks
>
> carl
>
Re: OU named users [message #418515 is a reply to message #417607] Wed, 24 March 2010 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andrei Ungureanu  is currently offline Andrei Ungureanu  Romania
Messages: 82
Registered: July 2009
Member
I've also seen it in some big AD deployments working for years and no
problem. both Users and Computers.

A lot of people tend to organize their AD data in OU's with the location
name, and under that they put in Users & Computers.

I haven't seen anyone to run in the "special issue" described in the Name
conventions documents provided by Meinolf. I think it's really hard to
reproduce that scenario.

Andrei Ungureanu
www.winadmins.net

"Richard Mueller [MVP]" <rlmueller-nospam@ameritech.nospam.net> wrote in
message news:Ojcfl4iyKHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>
> "MRNews" <nf@no.com> wrote in message
> news:%23VRBE5gyKHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>> Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in
>> another OU) reserved name ?
>>
>> thanks
>>
>> carl
>
> No problem. In fact, I have a domain I support with an ou=Users. I didn't
> set that up, but it's been fine for years. I have also seen ou=Computers.
>
> --
> Richard Mueller
> MVP Directory Services
> Hilltop Lab - http://www.rlmueller.net
> --
>
>
Re: OU named users [message #418878 is a reply to message #418515] Wed, 24 March 2010 10:50 Go to previous message
KevinJ.SBS  is currently offline KevinJ.SBS  United States
Messages: 653
Registered: July 2009
Senior Member
The "table of reserved names" generally applies to netbios names, computer
names, dns, and many other things. However, I believe OU names are not
subjec to limitations of the "table of reserved names".

The following KB lists OU name restrictions that I believe apply.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/909264?p=1


Andrei Ungureanu wrote:
> I've also seen it in some big AD deployments working for years and no
> problem. both Users and Computers.
>
> A lot of people tend to organize their AD data in OU's with the
> location name, and under that they put in Users & Computers.
>
> I haven't seen anyone to run in the "special issue" described in the
> Name conventions documents provided by Meinolf. I think it's really
> hard to reproduce that scenario.
>
> Andrei Ungureanu
> www.winadmins.net
>
> "Richard Mueller [MVP]" <rlmueller-nospam@ameritech.nospam.net> wrote
> in message news:Ojcfl4iyKHA.4492@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
>>
>> "MRNews" <nf@no.com> wrote in message
>> news:%23VRBE5gyKHA.3884@TK2MSFTNGP06.phx.gbl...
>>> Any problem creating an OU named users? (nested a few levels down in
>>> another OU) reserved name ?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>
>>> carl
>>
>> No problem. In fact, I have a domain I support with an ou=Users. I
>> didn't set that up, but it's been fine for years. I have also seen
>> ou=Computers. --
>> Richard Mueller
>> MVP Directory Services
>> Hilltop Lab - http://www.rlmueller.net
>> --

--
/kj
Previous Topic:LDAP Issue - LDAP BIND against Windows 2008 DC does not work
Next Topic:Windows 2008 and Prevent IIS Installation GPO setting
Goto Forum:
  


Current Time: Wed Jan 17 05:44:49 MST 2018

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.02046 seconds
.:: Contact :: Home ::Sitemap::.

Powered by: FUDforum 3.0.0RC2.
Copyright ©2001-2009 FUDforum Bulletin Board Software